𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑

she was saying goodbye,
and didn't even know it.
- the book thief

~~~~~

i finally make it back to lmanburg, running in on the minute i have left to spare. i see wilbur putting iron armor and a saddle on a horse. right next to him, is another horse with the exact same thing on.

"wilbur! i am back!" i shout to him, as i run up right beside him. he looks down at me as i catch my breath. he finishes putting the armor on the horse that he was by and pats it signifying that it was mine to ride on.

"are you ready?" wilbur questioned, hopping up on his horse. as i climbed up and sat on mine, i looked back at wilbur. i could see tommy standing off behind him, maybe half a mile away. the distance between us was far, but i could the sadness and worry in his eyes. what has been going on with him? he has seemed different all morning.

"ready as i will ever be!" i assured wilbur, looking back at him now. he snaps the rope that attaches to the front of the horse causing it to start moving. i do the same and now i am right behind wilbur, him leading the way.

it was a silent ride the whole way there, but i could see the castle for miles. it was huge, how have i not see this before? as we make our way to the front gates, wilbur shows the guard the paper that was sitting on the table in the caravan this morning. the guard was wearing a red and black cloak and had a grey and black mask on. i couldn't see what he looked like, but he had a diamond sword hanging on his back. someone remind me not to mess with him.

me and wilbur hopped off of the horses and another guard came out of nowhere and took them with a lead. this guard was wearing a white hoodie and a gold chain, he seemed less professional but also had a diamond sword hanging off his back. i guess the king really needs high security. the first guard opens the gate and wilbur walks in, i follow closely behind him. we the front door of the castle opens, we are let him with a man wearing a suit. he has dark hair and a white bandanna on. we are led to a big long rectangle table, wilbur sits down on the a far end and i stand right behind. i stand close because it is a little scary in here. it is dark and is only lit by some lanterns here and there.

"when he comes out, please don't make a scene. i need you to stay quiet." wilbur whispers to me. i nod to make sure he knows that i heard him.  but why would i make a scene? he might be the king, but he isn't my king.

the large door opened with a squeak at the other side of the room. the guard that was at the front gate and the other one i saw take mine and wilbur's horses were now walking through the door. followed behind them was a tall man wearing a silk dark green suit, i could not see his face because blocking it was a white circular mask. as i studied him, i saw the mask had a smiley face on it, i have seen hat before... but where? my eyes looked down and i saw wilbur tense up as the tall man continued walking. he finally had stopped and pulled out the chair on the other side of the table. as he sat down in it, i finally heard him speak.

"greetings my dearest friend, you seem to be a little tense." 

~~~~~

word count: 642