𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎

it's hard to trust when all you have 
from the past is evidence why you shouldn't.
- unknown

~~~~~

"y/n, wake up"

my eyes open to a face in mine. as my eyes adjust to the daylight i can make out the face that is close to mine and to no surprise it is sapnap.

"sapnap?" i shrieked, caught off guard by how close our faces were.

"the gala is today and you have woken up late." he announced, backing up and putting his hands behind his back.

i look over to the clock on my wall and see that it is only eight in the morning. how in the world is that sleeping in late?

"sap, i understand that you wake up at like five in the morning but that doesn't mean i need to." i claimed, now getting out of bed.

"it wouldn't be late if it was any other day, but it will take about five hours to get you ready and you still have to try on the dresses!" sapnap emphasized. 

im not the biggest fan of this whole gala thing. i have to wear a big dress and back in lmanburg i never wore a dress, i didn't even think about it. not to mention i will have to see dream after the whole awkward situation that went down last night. i really hope it was all a dream, but something tells me it wasn't.

"so then should i change right now or-" 

the door flings open and in comes puffy with the same bag from last time. only this time she had a bunch of dress bags with her slinged over her arm.

"goodmorning lovelies! you will never guess what time it is!" puffy cheerfully shouted out, as she walks into the room.

"time to try on the dresses?" i mutter, looking up at her with a sarcastic smile.

"you're right y/n! now sapnap, out." puffy answers, as she uses her hands to shoo sapnap out of the room.

puffy takes out all of the dresses and hangs them up on a rack. as my eyes look all over them, i can see that they are all green. puffy's face grows a huge smile as she looks at me, i can tell this will be a very fun time... ish.

~~~~~

i slip on the eighth dress and walk over to the body mirror

i slip on the eighth dress and walk over to the body mirror. i look up and notice how the dress hugs my body in all the right places. i look amazing in this dress, it is the dress i can only imagine wearing for this stupid gala. 

"this is the dress puffy." i whisper underneath my breath.

"i knew you would like this one." she replies, i can see her smile when i look at her through the mirror.

~~~~~

as puffy finishes my hair and makeup, it is almost time for the gala. who knew it could take this long to get ready for a dance? it better be worth it, but i have a feeling it will be awkward between me and dream.

"will i see you at the gala, puffy?" i ask, turning towards her but still sitting in my chair.

"you silly." she begins, her voice breaking into laughter. "this dance is for the most royal people in all of the lands. you will never see a nobody stylist at it." 

"you are not a nobody, puffy. you and sapnap are my only friends here in this stupid kingdom." i admit. 

"so then tell me, what is the king to you?" she questions, a smirk growing on her face.

"w-what does that mean?" i say, my words tremble unwillingly.

"its just the way you guys act around each other. im not the only one who notices how you guys act like you hate each other." she claims. 

"i do hate him, what are you trying to say?" i insisted, needing to know what she meant. she can't possibly know how both of us feel.

"all im saying is hate and love are just the opposite sides of the same coin. but i will stop talking, you need to get down to the gala, the guests might already be here." she explains, now packing the other dresses into their bags.

i give her a hug and a smile, then make my way out of my room. i walk down the steps and reach the first floor of the castle. i wonder over to the ballroom and peer inside. some of the guests are already here and i can see dream greeting them. classic music is playing in the background and i can see sapnap handing out glasses of champagne from his tray. 

i walk across the dance floor and my eyes meet dream's. he is wearing a dark green suit and has black shoes on. i won't lie, he looks really good in what he is wearing. i just hope to i can impress him with what i have on... wait no. i don't care what he thinks.

~~~~~

word count: 862