𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒

our lives might not fit together right now, 
but oh do our souls know how to dance.
- k. towne. jr

~~~~~

he grabs his mask which was right by him on the desk he was sitting at. he looks away from me and forces the mask on his face. he uses his legs to push out the chair he is sitting in and stands up. he walks up to me and stops right in front of me, with only a couple inches between us to spare. 

"do i really have to ask again? why are you here?" he snapped, gripping my wrist and bringing it up to meet his peripheral view.

"i-i just couldn't find anyone and there was light in this room-" i start, getting flustered with my words. "i'm sorry, i didn't know." i finished. 

"did you see anything?" he asks, still furious with me.

"what do you mean?" i respond, not understanding him.

"did you see my face?" he asks again.

i try to remember if i did see his face, but there is no way i could forget what he looked like. i looked right at him for god sake! i can remember his piercing emerald eyes, his... i can't remember what he looked like. i was looking straight into his eyes and i can't remember what my enemy looks like.

"i didn't mean to... i swear i can't remember what you look like-"

he releases my hand and turns away from me. i bring my hand up to my face and see the red mark he left on it, i bring it back to my side. he walks towards his desk and slams his fist on it causing things to fall off of it. i walk up to him and put my hand on his shoulder. he tenses up and keeps his back turned towards me. 

"why can't i see what you look like? why do you care so much?" i commented, keeping my hand placed on his shoulder.

he doesn't say anything but he finally turns around to face me. our faces inches away from each other. still, he doesn't say anything.

"dream i don't understand! why do you care so much?" i shout, taking my hand off his shoulder. 

"i have my reasons." he mutters quietly. 

he didn't stand up to me, he didn't make an annoying comment towards me. this is the first time he has never ordered me or said something rude to me. i place my hand at the bottom of his mask, hesitant to do it. i start to push it up but he grabs my hand, forcing it to stop.

"dream, why are you hiding from me?" i softly asked. 

"y/n, i have reasons. there will be a time when i take it off for you, not by force." he explained, taking my hand and putting it back by my side.

a quick knock on the door and then it swings open. me and dream both look over in that direction, our bodies inches away from each other. sapnap stands in the doorway, shocked by i can only guess how close me and dream actually are. i quickly jump back from dream out of realization of what just happened.

"sorry sir, just came in to ask you about the gala that happens every year. this year you will be hosting it." sapnap announced, still looking between me and dream.

"oh yes, thank you sapnap. i have been meaning to talk to you about that." dream admitted, not making eye contact with me.

"i think i should get going-" i start, making my way out of the room.

"y/n, i hope you know you have to plan this out too. you are the soon to be queen." sapnap explained, holding his hand out across from the door as a barrier to not let me out.

~~~~~

word count: 676