𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟒

the fine line between love and hate, 
is so hard to cross but easy to retreat back.
- ryn

~~~~~

the guards lead me to the stairs that go down to the basement. i walked between them, one in front of me and the other behind me. the stairs were long and narrow, but when we got to the bottom i noticed about three more guards standing next to a cell. as i approached them, they all looked down at me, them being taller than me. 

"can i see him?" i asked, looking at one of the guards who had bright blonde hair and a enderpearl necklace. he was one that i recognized from when i was first put in this hell hole.

"are you sure you want to?" the same guard questioned me.

"i need to know why he did it. i need an explanation." i reassured, walking towards the cell door. the guard standing next to it, opened it for me. 

as i walked in i saw tommy sitting on the cot in the corner of the room. he was bent over, his arms leaning on his knees. i turned back to the guards as i shut the door.

"can you give us some space? he won't hurt me, i promise." i claimed. the guards looked at each other and walked away in unison. 

i kept my distance from tommy, not wanting to get to close to him. i started to notice how he looked, his hair was shaggy and his body looked skinnier than ever. he finally looked up at me, and his eyes had horrible bags underneath them. 

"y/n, finally. i can't believe i get to see you-" tommy starts, standing up and trying to hug me. 

"no, back off." i interrupt, backing away from him. his movement stutters and he takes steps back. 

"y/n, its me. its tommy, you remember me right?" he muttered, putting his hands out reaching towards me. 

"w-why did you do it..." i sniffled, my eyes filling with tears. 

"because y/n, you don't deserve to be owned by anyone. he is your enemy, your villain, why are you sad? me and you are meant for each other, i saved you." tommy described. 

"tommy you are not my hero, you will never be my hero." i angrily stated. 

"but you love me y/n, and i love you." he answered, walking towards me.

"no tommy. you see, a hero would sacrifice me to save the world, but a villain would sacrifice the would to save me." i explained, walking back and out of the cell. 

"y/n, you can't just leave me here! we are meant to be together!" tommy yells, running up the cell wall. 

"guards, watch him. don't let him out until i say you can." i order, walking up the stairs. 

when i reach the top, i see sapnap walk out of a room at the other side of the hallway. he looks distraught, like he just got told bad news... this isn't good. i make my way over to him almost running, the hallway is clear, no one in sight but him. 

"sap, anything new?" i questioned, finally reaching him. he looks up at me, i can tell he has been crying.

"y/n, they said he might not make it." he said. 

my body froze. he kept talking but my mind drowned it out. he might not make it, he seriously might die on me. no, this can't be happening. i need to do something about this, i can't lose him. not now, not right now. 

"y/n?" 

"yeah? sorry, i was just processing things." i respond, tears falling down my cheeks.

"its okay, i don't want to lose him either." he empathized, reaching in to hug me. i collapse into his arms, hugging him tight. 

"is it possible i could see him?" i request, letting him go. 

"that might not be the best idea-" 

i turn towards the door and open the door, shutting it right behind me. my eyes meet his limp body laying on his bed. i walk over to the bedside, my gaze spots his wound. it is red and still bleeding, but its bandaged. i can't lose him. 

i have no idea why im thinking like this. only a couple days ago i hated him, now i can't imagine life without him. i have to find a way to save him, old fashioned medicine won't work for him. he has lost too much blood to recover from this. why did he invite tommy to the gala? i thought they hated each other, well they must because tommy nearly killed him.

i place my hand on dream's cheek, his skin is cold and pale. he seems dead already, this can't be happening. i can't help but think of how to help him, i am not doctor but i know i can think of something. my mind races of things i can do to possibly help my... enemy. he is still my enemy, he still was the one who ripped me apart from my family. 

sure, they might not be much of a family anymore, but they were all i had left. i still hate dream, i don't think i can ever not hate him. i just can't lose him. i still need to yell at him, i need time to tell him how much i hate him. he can't just die without knowing how i feel about him. he would be selfish to die on me. i wish philza was here with me right now, i miss him so much. 

wait, that's it. philza can save him, well not exactly him, but something he has. philza always keeps a totem of undying on him. it was a gift from technoblade to him, i can just go and get that from him. i can save dream. 

"i promise you will get to tell me how much you despise me soon, dream." i bend down and whisper into his ear. i retract my hand back to my side and run out of the room, and out of the castle.

~~~~~

word count: 1023