𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖

i was happy before i met him,
im alive now, and those-
those are not the same thing.
- after

~~~~~

my ears perk up when i hear a voice call after us. the dagger underneath my chin moves swiftly now to behind my back, making it arch a little to avoid the point going into me. jschlatt turns his body around which causes me to get pulled around to his front side. my eyes meet with the man down the hall, it was the king. i could recognize his voice out of anywhere, i knew it was him. jschlatt's grip loosens slightly on my wrist and i can tell he is getting a little nervous, but not enough where i could sense it if i wasn't standing right beside him.

"dream! there you are! y/n and i were just going to the dining hall to sit and chat about the gala." jschlatt announces as he looks straight at dream. 

dream wasn't looking back at him though, he was looking at me. we stared at each other for a couple seconds but then he broke eye contact and met eyes with jschlatt. dream starts to walk towards us and my hand gets yanked and my body is pulled over to jschlatt's side closer. i can see that dream's muscles tense up and his face shows jealousy. he can't be jealous over me. we are enemies, he can't feel anything towards me. 

"y/n, why don't you follow me? we have some things we need to go and talk about to get the gala up and ready for tomorrow." dream beseeched. i could feel the grip on my wrist growing tighter, and the point of the dagger start to dig into my skin, not enough to draw blood though.

"i-i would love to dream." i answered, looking him straight in the eyes. i can feel the worry start to fill my face and i can tell dream makes a mental note of it. dream's eyes meet my wrist that jschlatt is gripping tight, i can feel it starting to bruise.

"oh but dream, me and y/n were just going to chat. not far, only in the dining hall." jschlatt reiterated, the dagger staying in the same place.

"schlatt, this isn't the dining hall. you already passed it. now me and y/n have some planning we need to be doing, so if you could just excuse us." dream explains, his hand reaching for my free one. 

his hand connects with mine and i feel a sense of relief leave me body. i slowly walk away from jschlatt and stand right beside dream. i turn my body quickly to face him and see that the dagger is gone. i look at my wrist that is by my side, it is blue and purple already from the amount of force that was being put on it.

"schlatt, you have overstayed your welcome. our meeting is over and now you can leave." dream ordered, his hand pushing me behind him.

"whatever you want, my majesty." jschlatt finishes. he does a dramatic fake bow and then turns his back to walk out. 

as his hand opens the door and he walks out, i can feel all the adrenaline wash away and i am left with pain. pain from the grip he had on my wrist, pain from the dagger digging into my skin, and pain from the feeling i had when dream saved me. it was like he was my knight in shining armor, he saved me from whatever was going to happen, i don't even want to know.

"im sorry y/n. i had no idea that he was going to do that." dream stated, now turning his body towards me.

"no idea that he was going to do what? what was he going to do to me dream?" i asked, feeling the urge to not hide the tears that were going to be coming any second. i took a deep breath and suppressed them, he doesn't need to be knowing my weaknesses.

"i wish i could tell you. he is filled with envy and i don't know what he is capable of." he revealed.

"i think im going to go up to my room. i need a break from whatever just happened." i admitted, turning my back to him and walking down the hall. 

he didn't try to stop me, he didn't plead with me. it was like he understood what i went through, but that can't be right. we are so different from each other, we can't understand each other. my legs climb the spiral staircase and im met with my bed room door. i open it and walk inside, shutting it behind me. my room is dark but is lit from the moonlight that shines through my windows. i don't even bother changing, i just slip off my heels and climb right into bed. my head meeting the pillow, i close my eyes and drift off to sleep.

~~~

im waken up abruptly by a nightmare. as i recount the events that went down in my dream, all i can remember is the dagger that jschlatt was holding going right through me. dream was to late in my dream and i had died, that is what caused me to wake up.

my anxiety starts to build and i sit up. i look out my window and see that the moon hasn't rose much. my mind keeps running through the nightmare over and over and i can't get it out of my head. as i run through all the things i can do right now to calm myself down, only one person is running through my head. i need to go and see dream.

~~~~~

word count: 960