Talking

Stefano's pov

I walked into the study expecting to see my granddaughter sitting timidly on the couch looking quite frightened about our upcoming chat but instead, I found her hanging upside down on one of the leather chairs, her feet swinging to and fro as she happily hummed without a care in the world.

"Francesca!" I barked. "Sit up straight so we may talk."

Turning herself right side up, she asked, "Grandfather, how come you have that worn out looking leather thing hanging on a hook on the wall?"

"To spank naughty children with ovviamente (obviously)." I couldn't hide the smile on my face seeing how wide her eyes became upon hearing my explanation. Truly priceless.

"Did you spank my father with it?" she asked curiously.

"A few times, yes." I answered matter of factly.

"And Aunt Lexie?"

"Once when she was fifteen, I believe, and made the mistake of taking something from me without permission." I gave Francesca a look indicating she's been forewarned. Nobody steals from me without consequence. Nobody.

"What about Uncle EJ?" She tried but failed to make her query sound as if she only had a passing interest in the answer. It was quite obvious she was really hoping I'd say yes.

"Mmm hmm. Once when he was around your age as a matter of fact." Her celebration upon hearing that was short lived, the color draining from her face as she gulped.

"What did he do?"

"I'll let him tell you that story someday, ragazza ficcanaso (nosy girl). We have other matters to discuss right now." I gave her a stern look.

"Am I in trouble, Grandfather?" She sounded more curious than afraid, which concerned me a bit but she'll learn.

"Do you think you should be, piccola ragazza (little girl)?" I cocked one eyebrow at her and frowned.

"No," she replied quite unconvincingly, avoiding eye contact with me.

"You're happy with your behavior at dinner then?" I'm hoping she'll recognize what she did wrong on her own.

"What do you mean?" She remained stubborn.

"There isn't anything you would choose to do differently the next time around?"

"I didn't do anything wrong, Grandfather."

"There are rules I have set in place in this house that I expect you to follow during dinner, Francesca. You will be on time and dressed appropriately. You will be polite and respectful to myself, your uncle, any guests we may have, and the servants at all times. I expect you to use your manners each and every time you speak or act. Saying please and thank you, asking permission before doing, and pushing your chair in when you are dismissed from the dinner table, to just name a few. Sono chiaro (Am I clear)?"

"Si, Nonno (Yes Grandfather)," she replied shyly, biting her bottom lip.

I smiled broadly, pulling her onto my lap.

"That's my good girl using her Italian," I said, while pinching her cheek and giving her a hug. She flushed in embarrassment hearing my praise. Getting serious again, I asked, "Can you tell me now that you know my rules for dinnertime, Nipotina (Granddaughter), at least two things you would do differently next time?"

"Grandfaaatherrrr," she whined, not wanting to voice her misbehavior.

"Francesca," I prompted her, in my no-nonsense patriarchal tone.

"I'll be on time and push my chair in when I get up. Okay?" She almost got through it without the attitude. Almost.

I tapped her thigh in warning, "Watch the attitude, signorina (young lady)."