Bonding

EJ's pov

I can't believe my father saddled me with the task of teaching Tony's little brat how to care for and ride her new horse. The only good thing about this situation is I'll get to spend more time riding my own horse Fuoco since he finally arrived from England yesterday. Fuoco is a majestic, yet sleek, caramel colored thoroughbred I rescued after his forced retirement from racing. Still quick as lightning at thirteen years old.

I didn't get out to the stables nearly as much as I would have liked to while living in England. The drive was too long and there were always more enticing activities available to me, occupying both my time and focus. Truth is, I've always loved riding. It's such a great escape and adrenaline rush to go galloping through the open countryside.

"Uncle EJ, Uncle EJ!" my bratty niece interrupted my trip down memory lane, as she tugged on my sleeve to garner my attention. "When can we start taking care of the horses?" she whined.

"You can start now by cleaning up all their crap. Here," I said, pushing a shovel in her face.

Claire's pov

"Thanks," I sneered sarcastically.

"You're welcome. Now start shoveling, twerp."

As I was cleaning the stalls, my uncle got our horses saddled.

"Uncle EJ, why did Grandfather spank you with his strap?" I asked, reminded of the conversation Grandfather and I had in his office when I saw Uncle EJ buckle my horse's saddle.

"What?" he asked, unsure he heard me correctly as my question caught him off guard.

"The strap Grandfather has in his study. He said he spanked you with it once when you were my age. What'd you do?" I tried to sound nonchalant as I spread some more straw around Tuono's stall.

"None of your business, ankle-biter. Now quit screwin' around and get back to cleaning, or we won't have any time to ride today." Uncle EJ pointed to the pitchfork I was currently leaning on.

"Did it hurt?" I asked, as I got back to work.

"What? Did what hurt?" My uncle sounded annoyed I kept asking him questions.

"When Grandfather spanked you with the strap. Cuz it looks like it would hurt."

"If you don't shut-up and finish your chores, you'll find out for yourself when I thrash you." Despite trying to sound mean and threatening, I knew he was joking, or at least I hoped he was.

"Why can't you tell me? Was it like super embarrassing?" Without waiting for him to answer, I grinned and said, "I bet it was, that's why you don't wanna say." I figure eventually I'll annoy him enough to wear him down. I could tell I was already getting to him.

"Here," my uncle said, handing me two heavy water buckets as he ignored my inquiries into his most painful punishment at my grandfather's hand. "Dump these out, get 'em scrubbed clean, then refill 'em with clean water."

"Okay," I replied happily. I didn't care how much grunt work was involved, I was just so excited to have my own horse to care for that I'd do whatever it takes without complaint. Well, the first day I would anyway.

Seeing me struggle to lift even one of the buckets a couple inches off the ground, my uncle rolled his eyes and sighed, but came to assist, nonetheless. He carried the buckets out of the stalls for me, showing me where to dump them.

"Honestly." He shook his head from side to side. "Do I have to do everything for you?" he muttered under his breath.

"You know what's my favorite part about having my own horse?" Knowing my uncle probably wasn't even listening, I continued without waiting for him to respond. "My favorite part is brushing her mane and then petting her right above her muzzle."