Cheating

Claire's pov

I was a little nervous when I sat down to dine with my uncle and grandfather. The past couple days have been rife with stress, tension and arguments. I'm really hoping this dinner service won't be an extension of that. Smelling the delicious aroma of Cook's stuffed manicotti, I vowed to have a positive outlook on tonight's dinner conversation. Apparently my shared dining companions had other ideas.

"Francesca, we need to discuss getting you enrolled in school," my grandfather said, putting up his hand to silence my impending objections. "I don't want to hear any pushback from you. We will not have a repeat of the other night. Capisci (Understand)?"

"Si signore (Yes sir)." I don't want a repeat of that either. I'm not looking to argue here. I'm mostly resigned to my fate, mostly but not completely. I can't give up hope because that would mean giving up on my dad and I'm not gonna do that.

"You will start school in six weeks, Francesca, and I expect you to always try hard and do your best. Your grades will reflect the effort you're putting into your schoolwork and if they are not good, you and I will be having several discussions in my study. Capisci (Understand)?" my grandfather warned.

"Si, Nonno (Yes Grandfather). What school will I be going to?"

"You'll be doing school online, twerp," my uncle rudely replied.

"I wasn't asking you," I said snottily, as I stuck my tongue out at my uncle.

"Children," Grandfather said in his patriarchal tone, the one that makes you take notice as your entire body stiffens up immediately. "Behave," he cautioned the two of us.

When he wasn't looking, Uncle EJ and I sneered at each other. I mouthed 'jerk' at him while he slid his finger in a slashing motion across his throat.

"Tuo zio ha ragione, Nipotina (Your uncle is correct, Granddaughter). You will be attending classes online." My grandfather put the nail in the coffin on my best chance of getting out of this house on a regular basis and possibly having any semblance of a social life.

"UGHHH! Are you serious? I can't even go to school?" I asked, despite knowing the answer.

"You should know I wouldn't joke about something as important as your education, bambina (baby girl)," my grandfather stated pointedly.

"Why can't I go to the same school as Samantha, Alex, and Dante? It must be safe, otherwise Chris and Sergio wouldn't let them go there," I presented my very credible argument.

"I cannot ensure your safety there and that is all that matters. You will be attending school online, Francesca. That is not up for debate." My grandfather laid down the law. "We can, however, discuss what classes you will be taking."

"You'll really let me choose some of my classes?" I asked in disbelief.

Grandfather chuckled, "Ovviamente, tesoro (Of course, darling). I want you to be excited about starting school here."

I laughed until I saw the look on his face. OMG, he's serious. I thought he was joking. Who in their right mind gets excited about school, except maybe kindergartners? No one, that's who.

"I promise I'll try to have a good attitude about school, Grandfather." That's honestly the best I can do at this point. A part of me still really hopes I'll be back home in California with my dad and aunt before school starts.

"I appreciate that, Francesca, and I'll accept nothing less." Grandfather gave me the look that cements his position of authority in this family. Turning to my uncle, he asked, "Do you have anything you'd like to add in regards to Francesca's schooling, Elliot James?"