Learning

Claire's pov

After my talk with my uncle, I started working a lot harder at learning Italian. It's time for my next tutoring lesson now. When Sofia arrives, I tell her all about my grandfather's quizzes and Uncle EJ's plans to test me and cane me for my wrong answers. At first she thinks I'm joking but I'm soon able to convince her that my uncle really does have a cane that he's more than willing to use to stripe my ass.

He showed it to me the day after our talk when he saw me sitting on the couch in my pajamas at one in the afternoon watching stupid crap on television, instead of studying up in my room like I was supposed to be doing. He stepped in front of the tv, blocking my view. I was about to protest but thought better of it. He never said a word. He didn't have to. Watching him flex the cane, taking a few practice swings in front of me was more than enough motivation to get my butt up, get myself dressed and get to work on practicing my Italian.

As I was running up the stairs, I heard Aunt Lexie chide him, "EJ, is that really necessary?"

Hearing him respond, "It most certainly is, sister, and if you have a problem with it, you'll be next in line to feel the sting of my cane."

I ran even faster up to my room, barricading the door with my desk once I was safely inside. There's no doubt in my mind he's not joking. His threats are not idle. I don't think they ever are.

After hearing the recap of my encounter with my uncle, Sofia said, "È meglio iniziare la nostra lezione. We better start our lesson. Corretta? Correct?"

"Yes ma'am. Sì signora," I replied, trying to hide my smile at the amused, intrigued look on my tutor's face as she pondered this new bit of information about her boyfriend.

Sofia tutored me for over three hours. I was scared to death of getting any of my uncle's quiz questions wrong tonight so I made her go over everything three and four times before moving on to new material.

"Did my uncle tell you what questions he'll be asking me tonight, Sofia?" I asked, throwing my snowball into Hell and praying it would have a chance of survival.

"Claire, mi stai chiedendo di aiutarti a barare? Claire, are you asking me to help you cheat?"

"No, I'm just asking you to help me save my butt. Please, Sofia," I pleaded. "Don't let my uncle whip me with his cane."

"Farò del mio meglio per insegnarti così sarai preparato per il tuo quiz. I'll do my best to teach you so you'll be prepared for your quiz," she replied, patting my hand reassuringly.

"But, Sofiaaaa," I whined.

"Ti assicuro, Claire, che non so quali domande ti farà tuo zio. I assure you, Claire, I don't know what questions your uncle will ask you. Tutto a posto? Okay?"

"Fine," I replied defeated, slumping down in my chair.

My uncle walked into the room, giving me a look that instantly made me sit up straight.

"How's today's lesson going?" he asked, raising one eyebrow, trying to determine if I should be in trouble right now.

Sofia answered, "Buono. Good. Claire sta lavorando molto duramente quindi sarà preparata per il suo test stasera. Claire is working very hard so she will be prepared for her test tonight."

"Lo spero certamente (I certainly hope so)." My uncle leaned down, making Sofia shiver when his warm breath brushed her ear. He whispered, "Perché se non passa, anche la sua insegnante riceverà un rimprovero con il mio bastone. (Because if she doesn't pass, her teacher will get a reprimand with my cane as well)."

Sofia swallowed hard, looking at my uncle wide-eyed. Seeing him flash his dazzling pretty boy smile, she appeared to relax. When he winked, placing his hands gently atop her shoulders, she blushed profusely, shyly lowering her gaze.