Progressing

EJ's pov

Once we were finished at the gun range, Claire and I went back to the mansion to get cleaned up for dinner. I have to admit, I was rather impressed with my niece's shooting skills. She's a natural.

"You did really well at the range today, Claire. Do you think you'd like to try it again sometime?"

"You mean you'd let me come with you next time you go?" she asked, apparently shocked by my very generous offer.

"Well, I can't let you go by yourself, now can I?" I asked facetiously.

Scrunching up her forehead, she asked, "Why not?"

"God only knows what body part you would blow off if I left you alone with a loaded gun," I replied, scoffing at her in jest. "It's bad enough you're such a charity case now. Can you imagine how pathetic and useless you'd be if you were missing a limb in addition to your lack of intelligence and personality?" I laughed as I shook my head. "I'd be a shoo-in for the humanitarian of the year award then."

"Ha ha, very not funny," she replied, rolling her eyes at me. "You could have just said yes, I could come with you ya know, instead of rambling on like a clueless demented old circus monkey." She stuck her tongue out at me and sneered.

Chuckling, I shook my head slightly at her ridiculous response.

"Are you through now?"

"Yeah, I'm gonna go watch tv before I shower, Uncle EJ," she called out, already halfway up the stairs.

"Hold up," I ordered, stopping her mid-flight. "Get back down here, I need to talk to you."

Rolling her eyes in dramatic fashion, she huffed her whiny-ass response, "OMG! Isn't that what we've been doing for the past ten minutes? What could you possibly want now?"

"I said, get down here," I ordered more firmly this time, snapping my fingers and pointing to the spot in front of me. I was far from amused by her disrespectful response. I don't mind some playful trading of insults but when I give an order, I expect obedience without hesitation.

Groaning, she begrudgingly complied, rudely stomping down the stairs as she made her way over to me, grumbling under her breath the entire time.

"Okay, I'm here," she announced snottily and unnecessarily, as my vision is 20/20 and I can clearly distinguish her location without the need for verbal cues.

Despite being irritated by her impertinence, I chose to temporarily ignore it for the sake of time and simplicity, giving her a disapproving look instead in response. Just when I think I'm making progress, the brat in her rears its ugly head.

Raising one eyebrow, I stared down at her saying, "Just shut your mouth and listen."

"Fine. What?" she sassed, crossing her arms over her chest as she returned my glare.

Taking a long slow deep breath as Gabriella suggested, I managed to dampen my temper a smidge before addressing the snotty child within arm's reach of me.

"Don't forget tomorrow is your First Communion. I expect you to go to bed early tonight so you're rested for the ceremony," I warned Tony's brat, frowning prominently. "Capiscimi (Understand me)?"

"Why do I have to go to bed early?" she whined. "That's so stupid. I don't need to rest to put on an ugly white robe thingy and stand up in church with a bunch of dumb kids I don't even know so everyone can gawk at me like I'm some sorta carnival freak."

It's true Claire doesn't really know the other kids. Normally the child has to attend classes at the church for at least a year before they receive this honor but Father bought his way out of that requirement for his granddaughter. Regardless, the nitwit doesn't have a say in participating and since I'm responsible for her, she better behave.