Celebrating

The next morning

Claire's pov

Today is my eleventh birthday but I doubt I'll do much celebrating. I wonder if my uncle or grandfather even knows. I took my time getting out of bed, showering, and getting dressed as I'm in no hurry to be disappointed. I went down to the kitchen to see if Cook would make me an omelet for breakfast. He said he would and told me to go wait in the dining room where one of the other servants would bring it in when it was ready.

Walking into the dining room, I just about had a heart attack when I flipped on the light and heard, "Buon compleanno, mia bella nipotina (Happy birthday, my beautiful granddaughter)." My grandfather smiled broadly as the servants came out of the kitchen with my chocolate birthday cake. After lighting the candles, they all sang to me in Italian. Grandfather pulled me onto his lap.

"How did you know it was my birthday, Grandfather?" I asked, blushing in embarrassment from all the attention. I was sure nobody would know.

"What are you asking me, silly girl? Of course I know what day you were born. Non essere sciocco (Don't be foolish). Once I found out you were a Dimerra, I learned everything I could about you. Tu sei la mia famiglia e ti amo (You are my family and I love you)." Grandfather pinched my cheeks, making me blush even more. "Now blow out your candles and make a wish, piccola ragazza (little girl)."

I closed my eyes and said my wish in my head then I took a deep breath and blew out all my candles. The servants all clapped and cheered before taking the cake into the kitchen to slice it for serving.

My grandfather hugged me from behind, gently bouncing me on his lap, he whispered in my ear, "Possano tutti i tuoi sogni avverarsi (May all your dreams come true)."

After I finished my piece of cake, Grandfather said he had another surprise for me.

"What is it, Grandfather?" I asked happily.

"It's your birthday present of course. You didn't think your nonno (grandfather) would forget your gift now, did you?"

"What did you get me, Grandfather?" I asked excitedly.

"You'll see in a minute, my love, but first you have to open this." Grandfather pulled a small grey velvet box out of his pants pocket. Handing it to me, he said, "This is a gift from your father. He purchased it months ago for you and it's only right to open your father's gift first."

It was a pair of emerald earrings in a silver setting.

"They're so beautiful. Can I put them on?"

"Assolutamente, mia ragazza (Absolutely, my girl)."

After I put them on, I turned to my uncle and asked, "Do you like the earrings my father picked out?"

"Yes, they're beautiful earrings. Much too extravagant for a little brat like you," he sneered.

I stuck my tongue out at him.

"Did you get me anything for my birthday, Uncle EJ?" I asked, trying to shame him since I knew he didn't.

"As a matter of fact, I did," he said quite seriously.

My jaw just about hit the floor.

"You did?" I couldn't believe it. Isn't it always the people you hate on sight that become your biggest fans?

"Come here, my niece," he called me in front of him. As soon as I walked over, he grabbed my arm, yanking me over his lap. "I got you your birthday spankings," he laughed, as he started smacking my butt.