1.

EVERYTHING'S SHIT.

What's up with this place. The fast food tastes fake, people seem way over eager to say 'mornin y'all' and now I have to learn how to drive on the wrong side of the road.

Don't even get me started on how I can't even have a drink at the local pub. Turning 18 a couple months ago seemed like a huge milestone, but here, it's like I've gone back a few steps.

Gosh I miss Australia already.

I had finished my HSC exams and my mates and I were already planning the road trips for the upcoming summer. Beach, day drinking and tanning. What more could an 18 year old ask for.

Instead, we're here. Austin, Texas.

On the up side, no one knows me here. Not a single soul, except for my awesome parents.

A fresh start is how they tried to play it, when in fact, it was an amazing opportunity for dads career. Despite the fun summer I had planned, a part of me was happy to leave. Don't get me wrong, Australia will forever be my home, but we all definitely needed this. Needed not to be known.

We were already planning to move interstate when dad got the job offer to move overseas. I wasn't too keen for the country change but both of them had always wanted to do this. Work and live overseas, even if it was only short term. Who was I to rain on their parade.

So here we are. Living in the US. In Autumn, no sorry 'Fall' and it's already feeling a tad too chilly for my liking. Two winters in 12 months is not what I had planned.

''Leila, your dad and I need to go in earlier to work hun, will you be ok to drive yourself in?''

''Yea mum, I'll be fine.''

''You sure, you still get a bit confused when you need to turn left.'' She accuses me.

Honestly, she's not wrong but by the way her lips are twitching she is totally taking the piss.

''Ha. Ha. Very funny... and unfortunately accurate, but I'll just take it a bit slower mum. It's all good.''

''Ok sweetie. Well, I hope you have a good day on your first day of school in the US. I can't believe we're hear sometimes. Ohhh, lets take a quick selfie.''

Her smile is so addictive I can't say no to her.

''I don't even know why you and dad are making me go. I've already completed year 12, with outstanding grades, might I remind you. Plus the semester is already half way done. This kind of feels like a punishment.''

Being home schooled for the last couple of years, I flew through the work in record time. Aced my exams but for whatever reason my parents felt like this would be good for me. Socially, not academically.

''I think this is a great way to meet people your age and learn a lot about our new home." She attempts to placate me, playing with my hair. "Yes, you did amazing on your exams but now think of how easy those pop quizzes are going to be for you, you've practically done the same or similar curriculum. You're dad and I made sure of that.''

She's always so positive I can't help but nod and go with it. My parents have both expressed that I need to socialise more. Do they really want me 'socialising' the way normal 18yr olds do though?

Waving her goodbye I get myself ready for my first day at a new school. Not wearing a uniform is a blessing and a curse. What do teens even wear in the US.

Keeping it safe, I stick with my 'go-to's.' Ripped skinny black jeans, loose black band shirt knotted at the front, leather jacket and my 'off the wall' vans. Curly black hair left loose, only mascara on my lashes to make my chocolate eyes pop and  a dash of gold jewellery on my fingers and ears. I'm good to go.