33. Highschool cuties

'I missed you pretty girl

'I missed you pretty girl. Your hair looks lighter'

Those butterflies fluttered but I didn't know how I should feel about them and this note.

I've watched my girlfriends enough to know how much it can hurt when the guy you're supposedly dating or seeing, flirts with other girls. It fucking stings.

While I don't think Elijah is the type of guy to cheat or anything, I don't want to be the girl that encourages it. The notes definitely cute, but if he has feelings for Ashley or she thinks they're dating, I should step back.

Shouldn't I?

The problem with this note is that it's pretty harmless... even though the corners of my lips keep twitching, wanting to smile down at it.  It's such a small thing to notice, but my hair is actually lighter. My natural caramel highlights come out to play with that much sun exposure. The fact he noticed is kind of big for a guy, right?

Tell me I'm being a dumb teenage girl! Maybe I'll get Dani to slap me out of it or something later.

Things had felt like they were changing before I left, but again, if he's decided to shack up with Ashley, I'm going to have to be careful.

I've been staring at the note for the last five minutes, attempting to keep my expressions neutral while I contemplate if I should right back or not. But who am I kidding, I can easily feel when my face shows my confusion that morphs into giddy school girl that progresses into amusement just to repeat it again.

Elijah and I are mates, so it would be rude not to reply. That's what I tell myself, anyway.

Sighing, I jot down a friendly reply.

'Catchup at lunch? You can tell me about your chrissy with the fam bam.'

Re-reading it far too many times, I shake my head at my idiocy, scrunch the paper back up and aim but falter to throw the note when I find Elijah's eyes are on me, face blank but watching me intently that my stomach clenches.

Slowly we start to mirror each other with our smirks until I shake my head again at myself and lob the paper to him. Catching it easily, he keeps his eyes on me as he unfold the note. I can feel a few of my classmates watching us but I ignore it.

Forcing myself to face the front of the class, I keep my focus on Elijah from the corner of my eye. I shouldn't want to know how he reacts to my message but I do. I really do.

Which is completely idiotic because the note is literally nothing.

His shoulders noticeably drop and his head drops slightly but overall he looks... fine, I guess. I don't get a note back but when the bell calls for the end of class, I'm throwing my bag over my shoulder when he steps up beside me.

"Hey, pretty girl."

Smiling back at him, we both reach out for a hug and it's exactly what I had been hoping for. Not this mornings weirdness. This right here. A normal hello with a hug.