41. Her Answer

It's cold today. The very fancy electronic temperature gauge on the side of the house is inconveniently telling me its 56F. For the first 15 minutes sitting out here wrapped up under the cover of the plush mink blanket, my head was too busy focusing on my muddled feelings but as my nose and lips started getting colder and colder, my annoyance for not understanding what that meant had me googling a converter. So yea, it's 13 degrees Celsius and it's raining.

Even with my breath's as steam and the chill settling on my shoulders, it really is beautiful out here. The scent of fresh wet grass and leaves along with the sounds of the rain hitting the cover protecting me as I snuggle deeper into the cushions and blanket is a true natural lullaby. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to truly enjoy natures soundtrack due to Elijah leaving me confused and with swollen lips.

'A fricken Trial Period!?'

No matter how much I try that's been on repeat.

Taking a hit from the blunt between my fingers, I try again to focus on the rain and let it drown away my nerves while I watch it heavily hit the earth not three metres away. Sitting outside undercover back home in Australia while it poured down and stormed was always one of my favourite things. Dad finally added the awning to our place after that time mum had found me in a tree. Apparently I had wanted to be closer to the thunder. That's probably another reason I'm out here and not inside. I needed the sense of 'normal.' Well, my version anyway.

Without my permission, my thoughts turn to the cute boy I'm crushing on who just asked me to be his girlfriend. And like an absolute wanker, I refused and when he asked me to think about it, I was too kiss drunk from his lips that I just nodded and didn't say anything else to him when he walked out.

'You're an idiot Leila Hale.'

Hearing the french doors slowly open, I ignore it and keep my attention on the greenery in front of me. Not too long after I hear the door quietly click shut. Anxious about who may have found me, I relax when I hear my sweet friends voice.

"Hey doll, watcha doin out here? it's freezing." In my peripheral Dani hugs herself, rubbing her hands up and down her arms as she shuffles quickly in my direction.

Keeping my attention on the rain as it hits the leaves and shatter, I don't look up at her as she comes closer. A whispy cloud of steam leaving my mouth as I say, "Just thinking."

Taking a seat close to me, she drapes the blanket I've got tucked around me over her legs as she nudges my knee with hers. "About?"

Sighing, I blink slowly, opening them to peer over at Dani who has her brows narrowed in concern. Offering her the blunt, she accepts and takes a pull while her eyes stay on me. Keeping my voice low, I confess to my best friend, "Elijah asked me to be his girlfriend."

An assortment of emotions cross over her pretty face in quick succession. "About time!! My goodness. He's liked your for months! and the way you two were last night... well let's just say, I'm surprised he didn't take you upstairs and keep you all to himself." Fanning her face smirking.

A vague, drunken memory flits through my mind of Elijah attempting to get me upstairs... but to put me to bed but Mica whining not to hog me. I guess that's why we slept on the couch. Would he have hopped in bed with me, though? Shaking that, surprisingly, enticing thought away, I continue to fill her in. "And we made out at The Bar on Thursday night... and again last night... and this morning."

Wide eyed, she smiles broadly only to falter when she notices I'm lacking exuberance like she is. No, I'm... dull,? Full of a heaviness I don't appreciate or welcome.

Tucking her legs beside her, she fully faces me, her left elbow leaning on the back of the outdoor lounge as she rests her head on her fist. "I don't understand. Why do you look like you're about to have an anxiety attack?"