𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭: 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳

☼

AVENGERS TOWER
FIVE YEARS BEFORE THE SNAP

"For the last time, Anya, the answer is no!"

"Oh, come on!" She complains while walking through the hallway with her. "I'm more equipped than anyone else in the building. You know I'm ready!"

Natasha turns to her sister with a stern look, placing her hands on both her shoulders. "No. You are not."

Anya frowns and pushes Natasha's hands away before she storms off. She hears Natasha sigh and call out to her from behind, but Anya keeps walking until she goes to a lower floor. Once she's sure she is alone, Anya exhales tiredly before moving to make herself some coffee.

"Your sister rough on you again?"

Anya scoffs quietly as she looks up, only to see Steve smiling while approaching her. "When is she never?" She mutters while observing his suit based on the American flag.

Steve offers to make the coffee for her, and she just lets him. "You know, she's probably right."

"Oh, God. Not you, too." Anya rolls her eyes. "But I've been training for months now, Steve. I've been trying to be better. I am better!"

"And I know that, but you know what this mission is, Anya," Steve reminds her. "We let you help when we're on rescue missions, but if it involves something as big as this..."

Anya shakes her head. "I can be useful, Steve. I can help you find that scepter quicker."

Steve sighs, offering her the cup of coffee. "And no one doubts that, Anya. But your time will come."

"And when is that? When the whole world has gone to shit?" Anya mutters bitterly.

"Language," Steve mumbles in response, making Anya smile against her will and lightly pushes Steve. He chuckles. "Before I go, I need to tell you that we're going to have a very unlikely guest here on the Tower."

"Really? Who?"

Steve winces. "You've heard of Thor, right?"

"Um... yeah. Tall, blonde, big-muscled Norse god." Anya gives Steve a look. "Why would he be an unlikely guest?"

"I wasn't talking about him. I was actually referring to his brother." Steve informs, and Anya freezes with her eyes wide.

"Loki? That... psychotic bastard who thrashed New York a few months ago?" She almost shrieks, and Steve shushes her. "Why is he going to be staying here?"

"Shh, don't panic. Thor reassured us that Loki will be without magic or weapons, like his father decreed it." Steve exhales in disbelief. "Kind of difficult to argue with the God of Gods. It's best if we just go with it."

"Go with it? Are you insane? He killed like hundreds of people in one city!" Anya hisses.

"He's banished from Asgard, and is told to live his banishment here on Earth. Tony offered the Tower so we can all at least keep an eye on him. Keep him away from trouble." Steve tells her, and Anya rolls her eyes. That sort of makes sense. "We're not offering sanctuary for him. If anything, this place is the perfect prison for him."

"When is he arriving?"

"Today, actually. Thor's coming to join us to look for the scepter too, so..."

Anya gapes at Steve. "You're all leaving me here with him, aren't you? You're leaving me with that psycho?"

"He doesn't have powers, Anya. Thor said that he is as normal as a human. Even the strength. He won't be able to hurt you." Steve reassures her again, but she shakes her head at him.

"I'm not actually worried about him hurting me, but is this how it's going to be now? Babysitting a Norse god. I can't believe any of you." Anya glares at him. "I'm not doing this."

Steve sighs when Anya walks away from him as well. Anya huffs to herself. The nerve! They all know how powerful she is, and they decide to reduce her into a grown man's personal babysitter? She will not have that.

note: thank you for five hundred reads! that's so insane to me wow. thank you so much. comment and vote, darlings!