𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧: 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳

☼

As Loki stares at the painting on the wall, he begins to observe the little details being put into it. The amount of snow was not random at all, especially not the little flakes decorating the entire canvas.

Tony walks up beside him, still looking cautious around the God. He looks at the painting he is admiring and hums. Loki glances at the human and refrains from rolling his eyes. "What silly little conquest have you got planned for me this time, Stark? More tricks to perform?"

Tony chuckles. "No tricks, actually. I think you've done enough."

Loki glares at him, crossing his arms as he stares at the painting in front of him. "Then what are you doing here?"

"I want you to join the party later."

"And greet the entire group of people who loathe me to the core? Sounds delightful." Loki sarcastically says.

"Relax, Rock of Ages. They're not going to do anything, and neither are you."

"What makes you think I won't betray you like I do with everyone else?" Loki raises a brow at him.

Tony scoffs. "Oh, I know you want to betray me at some point, but you'll be playing it safe right now. Kind of like, uh... buying a new phone. You'd be so careful for the first few weeks and then carelessly throw it around after."

Loki chooses to pretend he knows what a phone is. "The answer is no, Stark."

Tony sighs. "Well, I tried." He turns to walk away. "Such a shame you won't get to talk to the artist behind all the paintings you've been ogling."

Those words capture Loki's attention and he looks at Stark with a curious expression. "These paintings weren't made in the Renaissance period?"

Tony chuckles. "No. It's by someone here in the tower. Likes to paint for free." He shrugs. "Maybe if you come to the party later, you'll get to talk to them."

Loki watches Tony leave before he looks up at the large painting on the wall again. He can feel the utter despair and loneliness in every brushstroke. Only because he has felt those emotions before.

***

"You know, Steve is kind of cute." Anya mutters as she holds up her drink.

Natasha chuckles. "We're not going down that road."

"Why? Because you've got your eye on a certain doctor?"

Nat gives her a look. "I saw you with the God of Mischief earlier today. Did he say something to you?"

"Nah. He just thought I poisoned his coffee." Anya sips her drink. "Which I would've, since he keeps playing tricks on me using JARVIS. He thinks I don't know." She snickers.

Natasha smirks. "That's my girl."

Bruce walks over to them at the bar and Anya takes that as her cue to leave. As she takes her glass, she looks up at the door opening from upstairs. In comes Thor and his dark-haired brother. The others' attention are immediately on them, and Loki appears to be cowering from their gazes while also appearing confident.

After a while, all their attention go back to what they were previously doing. Loki slowly exhales and glances at his brother. Thor smiles brightly as he walks with Loki by his side, as he believes he and Loki should always be.

Anya curiously watches Loki for a moment before deciding to walk up to Thor. "Hey, Odinson." She offers her hand to shake his.

"Lady Anastasia, how wonderful it is to see you again!" Thor takes her hand and places a chaste kiss on the back of it, startling her and coloring her cheeks. "You look lovely!"

She chuckles cluelessly, shyly pulling her hand back. "It's good to see you, too. Maybe drop the whole Lady thing. You're on Earth."

"Right, yes. My apologies. I always seem to forget that our cultures are different."

"I don't blame you, brother," Loki finally makes his presence known, and Anya turns to look at his charming smirk this time. "If I didn't know any better, I would assume Miss Anastasia was of Asgard for how radiant she looks."

She raises an eyebrow at him before looking back at Thor. "So, Thor, I heard that you're planning to move in with Jane soon." Anya smiles at him as they walk. Loki sighs in the background and quietly stays by his brother's side.

"Oh, yes! Jane and I have our eye on this cozy little apartment down south. It looks homely and warm, everything a God would need." Thor chuckles delightedly.

Anya can feel his happiness, and it makes her smile wider. "That's amazing, Thor. I'm very happy for you."

"Thank you, Anya." Thor turns to face her. "And if I could be so bold, I was hoping that you could provide me a painting or two. I heard that humans tend to give housewarming gifts for their friends," he amusedly raises his brows, and his words catch Loki's attention.

Anya laughs and places her hand on Thor's arm. "It would be an honor."

Loki steps forward. "Sorry, you are the painter in the tower?"

Anya looks at Loki with a shrug. "Yeah. I did all the paintings here. It's how I repay Tony for letting me stay."

Loki's eyes glint with fascination, and an impressed smile tugs at his lips.

Thor watches his brother for a moment and tries his best to suppress a smile. "Excuse me, brother, Anya. I think Stark is waving me over." Thor walks away from them.

Anya lifts her head to look at Loki, who is already watching her. She awkwardly presses her lips together. "Do you want a drink?"

Loki blinks and clears his throat, looking away. "Yes, of course."

"Well, get it yourself, God of Mischief." Anya smirks.

Before she walks away, Loki does just that. He holds out his hand and subtly manifests a champagne glass in his palm.

Anya steps back in surprise, and he raises a glass to her before sipping. Their eyes are locked together the entire time, and Loki is pleased to see how astonished she appears.

Once he is finished sipping his drink, he gives her a smug look. Anya just stares at him and for a moment, Loki though she was going to tell the rest of the team that he has his magic all this time.

Instead, the corner of her lips curl up into a smile. Loki softens, pleased to finally receive a genuine smile from her after all these weeks.

note: ooh, slight plot twist. loki has magic ;)