𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞: 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘤𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘩𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘵

☼

As Loki and Anya sit together, they share a gaze before Anya looks away with her face heating up. Loki realizes how flustered she looks and he tries his best to hide his own growing smile. Can't be helped, Loki finds her quite nice to look at.

"Miss Romanoff—"

"Anya, please." She immediately corrects him with a gentle tone. "You make me sound like my sister," she quietly chuckles.

Loki offers a small smile, but it felt forced. He knew that Agent Romanoff is gone, and he can tell how it is affecting the young woman in front of him.

"Anya," his voice molds around her name like the inside of a rose, and it sends a slight shiver down Anya's spine. She never thought she would ever hear his voice again, much less to say her name. "I'd like to apologize for showing up at such a sudden moment."

"It's... okay." She lies smoothly through her teeth, and Loki can tell.

"You have a lovely home," Loki nods, looking around the area.

She narrows her eyes and her lips twitch into a smile. "Thanks."

Loki notices the way she is looking at him. "What?"

"Are you sure you're the Loki from New York? You just... you feel different."

Loki tenses and looks away from her. "Well, it's, er... been quite a busy week since New York."

"What happened?" She appears worried. "Are you hurt?"

Loki shakes his head, surprised by her concern. "No, I'm fine now."

"Do you want some sleep?"

Now that she mentioned it, Loki feels a certain wave of exhaustion through his body. Which is odd. He has never needed to sleep before. "No, it's fine. Thank you." Loki offers a genuine smile.

They share another look, and both of them wanted to say so many words, but neither of them did. Anya averts her eyes again, and the flush in her cheeks seems to be other than embarrassment.

"Are you cold?" Loki softly asks, and he feels astonished by his own concern over her wellbeing. Midgardians are fragile beings, so temperature must bother them a lot.

She widens her eyes momentarily and blinks. "Oh, um... no. Not really."

"You seem cold," he adds with a puzzled expression.

She lets out a chuckle. "I'm used to the cold. I like it that way."

Loki softens, unsure if her words have a different meaning. "You can light the fireplace if you'd like."

"Yeah, I know. I just, um... it's a force of habit."

"What is?"

"I kind of... keep things cold when you're around." She purses her lips together in contemplation, and Loki's lips part with surprise. "I know how fire makes you a bit uncomfortable."