𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞: 𝘥𝘰𝘳𝘢 𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘢𝘫𝘦

☼

"I'm okay, Peter. I just don't remember how I got here." Anya painfully hisses as she clutches her head.

She was dreaming the whole night, and woke up with a headache. She finds it strange that she doesn't remember changing out of her clothes.

Peter is sitting near her bed with a worried look, offering her a glass of water. "Mr. Stark told me that the Dora Milaje is picking you up for Wakanda later."

Oh, great. Coming face to face with Okoye first. Wonderful. Anya takes the glass of water and everything she was thinking is reflected on her face.

"Was it that bad? Visiting Dr. Strange?" Peter asks.

Anya gulps down the glass and tries sitting up. "Stephen and I just... talked. Things got a bit out of hand, but... it's okay now. He and I are alright. I guess." She nods.

It took Anya the whole night to convince herself that Stephen made the right call. The world shouldn't suffer the loss of another Avenger, even if her mental wellbeing was at the expense.

Anya looks down at her lap, fiddling with her fingers. "Peter... do you think..." she trails off hesitantly. "Do you think I'm insignificant?"

A wave of emotion washes over Peter's face upon the question. "Miss Anya, why would you ask that? Did Dr. Strange—"

"No, no, he didn't do anything. Don't worry." She shakes her head. "I just... so many things happened to me the past seven months, and I just feel like I'm being punished or something." Anya mutters before closing her eyes. "You know what? Forget it. I shouldn't pour this on you, kid."

Peter takes her hand and she is startled for a moment. He smiles at her a bit. "Miss Anya, you are far from insignificant. From what I heard back then, you were the glue that kept the Avengers together!"

Anya weakly chuckles. "A pretty weak glue, honestly. They all still left months after Thor did."

"But you stayed here."

"Yeah, because everyone else left. Wanda and Vision ran away together. Tony left to get married to Pepper, which was great. Clint stayed with his family. Nat left, and went with Steve without even telling me." She sighs, shaking her head. "I stayed because someone had to." And she had nowhere else to go.

Peter frowns and squeezes her hand as if to say that he was there for her.

Later that afternoon, Anya stands in front of the compound as she watches the Wakandan jet lower itself on the grass. Behind her, the other Avengers stand.

Thor walks up to her. "Lady Anya, if you would like to back out—"

"No. I have to face this." Anya determinedly keeps her gaze towards the opening jet.

The Dora Milaje steps out in formation and in the middle of them, Okoye walks out with her signature spear.

Anya takes a deep breath and approaches them, but keeps her distance. "I heard you were here to pick me up." She keeps her head up high.