Chapter 42: My Stand

(A/N. Question of the day, what twist do you think I have left?)

Liv has been dealing with the fallout of her podcast. It's been ugly, but it's been uglier for her mom. And me? I have been training. My competition is in three days and all i can think about is what should I do?

What will my stand be? I want to talk to my friends about it but they are all concerned with other things. Asher isnt really talking to me either. We arent starting this relationship off real strong.

"What's on your mind?" My coach asked me.

"So you know the leaked video?"

"The one your friend released?" He asked me.

"That's the one. While I dont think it was the right decision she made her stand."

"What does this have to do with you?" He asked me.

"Coach what will my stand be? I knew the girl who was killed, she dated my brother, Brandon," I told him.

"I'm sorry, Pheonix, " he told me,"and as for your stand you have to decide what that will be. Whatever you come up with will be a good idea. Your more of a rational thinker then your friend."

"Thank you," I told him.

After practice I played the news on my phone as i changed out of gymnastics clothes. What I heard shocked me.

"The shooting of the girl has a new story counter part. Her ex-boyfriend was in a notorious gang. Here is his picture," they showed a picture of brandon,"he died two years ago but cops say they suspected that she was also in gang. They were fearing their lives."

"Bullshit!" I screamed at the news.

So becuase she dated my brother she deserved to die! I am so tired of this dumbass stereotype that comes from being family of a gang member, dating a gang member, or being ones friend. As I looked through more stories pictures of teams kneeling popped up and that when the idea hit me.

I met with hailee for coffee and told her my idea. Hailee doubles as my sponser so it works out well.

"So you want to kneel?" She asked me.

"A girl is dead and they are saying it's okay becuase she dated my brother," I told Hailee.

"Pheonix, liv cant leave the house becuase she took a stand," Hailee told me,"and your still in recovery. I dont want you to hurt your mental stability for this."

"Hailee if I dont take my stand now, I never will," I told her.

"Then I have a plan. Does your pastor still have that list of names?" She asked me.

"Yeah why?" I asked her confused.

"Get me a copy."

Time skip - a day later, practice

"You excited? This is your last competition before the Olympics trials tryouts," My coach asked me.

"I am."

"Have you thought more about your stand" he asked me.

"I'm kneeling," I told him honestly while stretching.

"Pheonix, did you now read the rules?" My coach asked.

"What do they say?"

"Any athlete who kneels for the national anthem will automatically loose a point in all of the events," my coach said sitting infront of me.

"Why?" I demanded angrily.

"I dont make the rules."

"Would I still be able to compete?" I asked him.