Chapter 27

When I arrived in front of the painting  leading to the kitchen, Sirius was already there.
His hands were in the pockets of his trousers and he gave me a cheeky grin.

Without even realising it, I beamed at him. "Hi."

"Good morning, Freya." Sirius looked at the picture of the fruits and then at me. "I'll explain when we're inside, okay?"

I nodded, trying to not make my giddiness too obvious. I loved surprises.

Sirius tickled the pear and we went into the kitchen. Like the last time we'd been here, the house elves instantly swarmed around us.

Sirius glanced at them and then directed his sparkling dark eyes at me. "I've written a letter to your sister, since you seemed so down the day before yesterday and I wanted to cheer you up. She told me that you like baking and cooking and I thought that maybe... We could do that?"

I didn't know what I'd expected, but that certainly hadn't been it. My heart swell and my eyes started to prickle with emotion. What had I done to deserve him?

Appartently, Sirius misinterpreted the silence and my watering eyes. His eyes widened ever so slightly. "Of course we don't have to, you know? We can do whatever you want to do!"

A laugh escaped me, but since my throat was clogged up with emotions, it kind of sounded like a snort. The grin on my face couldn't be misinterpreted, though, so Sirius started to smile again, too.
"Thank you," I whispered.
He shook his head, his smile widening even more. "It's nothing, really." He bumped my shoulder. "I love that you have so low expectations that you're so easy to make happy."

My heart fluttered at his words and I tried my best to not let tears escape my eyes again. Merlin, I was so happy.

Since the house elves had watched us attentively, Sirius looked at them and asked them, after a quick glance at me. "If it's alright with all of you to share the kitchen with us?"

The house elves nodded and skimmed away to clear us a spot on the large kitchen board.
We followed them, and when we arrived, Sirius clapped his hands and gave me an expecting look.
"So, because the Blacks have house elves, I've never cooked or baked in my entire life. That means you'll have to coach me."

Still grinning, I nodded. It was a weird thought to me that people could spend their entire lives without having to cook once, but that didn't dampen my enthusiasm to spend a great day with Sirius. "Okay."

"So, what do you want to do? Something chocolate-y, right?"

I didn't even remember how Sirius knew that. My soul almost left my body out of pure happiness. "You can choose between chocolate cake or brownies. I know the recipes for both. Oh, or American style cookies! I love those!"

Sirius smiled at me. "I get the feeling that you want to bake cookies, so let's do them."

I nodded. "Okay, so you can get us brown and white sugar, and eggs. I'll get flour, butter and chocolate drops."

Sirius gave me a mock salute and went off. I mentally checked if I'd forgotten anything, but when I didn't think of anything else, I got everything we needed.

"What now?" Sirius asked when we'd both gotten everything and met again at the counter.
"I can't remember how much of everything we need, so we'll just try and see what tastes best."

The corner of Sirius' lip twitched amusedly, but he nodded. "Aye aye, Commander Tygris."

After taking out the hugest bowl he could find, Sirius started of with pouring in unhealthy amounts of white and brown sugar.
We'd make lots of cookies, then.