Chapter 41

The rest of the evening and the next day went by in what felt like seconds.

(The marauders caused a good laugh when the first to sixth years that had taken sips from the pumpkin juice all started shouting or crying about how much they would miss the coolest seventh years Hogwarts had ever seen.)

The classes the next day weren't even classes. The students just kept talking to the Professors, or we would do some funny magic tricks to spend time.
I tried my best to join into the laughter at the feast in the evening, but my mood was dampened by the voice in my head that kept reminding me of how this was the last dinner I'd ever have as a student of Hogwarts.
Then I packed my stuff for the very last time. This time, I had to be really careful and make sure that I wouldn't forget and lose anything.

When I woke up the next morning, my suitcase was already gone, brought to the train station of Hogsmeade.
Us seventh years were quiet at breakfast, but all the other students were excited and looking forward to their long holidays.
It was unbelievable that we wouldn't return, unlike on all the other last days of school we'd had before.

When I thought back to the last day at school of my sixth year, I stopped short in my tracks. It had happened almost exactly one year ago, when I'd wanted to end my sixth school year at the best point possible.
Wow, how that had backfired...

"Freya, come on, or we'll miss the train," Valerie reminded me when the students in the Great Hall began to clear out.

So I quickly stood up and followed my friends out of the Great Hall, but only a few minutes later, I was stopped by the marauders, who had apparently waited for me in the entrance hall, and who told my friends to continue walking before directing their attention to me.

Confused, and trying to ignore all of the students that were passing by, I looked them." What's up?"

"Oh, not much," Remus replied in a sarcastic tone. "Just that school is over and we won't see each other at school ever again."

My stomach dropped in fear. "You're saying goodbye?"
I couldn't voice my actual fear that they were saying goodbye for good.

"Well, yeah," James answered. "We don't want to leave without saying goodbye."

I tried to not let my eyes widen in panic and attempted to let my voice sound casual. "Yeah, right, of course."

Remus was the first one to bring me into a hug, and all my worries disappeared when he murmured "Of course we'll stay in touch, but who knows when we'll manage to meet each other, right? So, bye, Freya."

So they hadn't come to ditch me, puh. "Goodbye, Remus," I smiled, before James pulled me in his embrace.
"See you, Freya. I'll make sure to invite you to Lily's and my wedding."

I pulled back in surprise. "What have I missed?" I asked in complete shock and confusion.
"Nothing," Remus chuckled. "But he keeps saying that to everyone."

"Yeah, duh," James said to him. "I will propose to Lily eventually, and I want everyone to be prepared!"

It took me a second to realise that the small chuckle following that statement had come from me. "You're truly one of a kind, James."

He indicated a small bow. "It's my speciality."

"Oh please," Sirius shoved him playfully. "Being extra is my thing, get your own."
Then he turned to me with that always present sparkle in his eyes that made my stomach churn with nerves.
"See you soon, Frey," He said when he brought me into a hug.

I closed my eyes tightly and returned the hug with all my strength. I hoped that I'd see him again very soon. And I hoped that we'd keep seeing each other regularly.
I couldn't bare the thought that he'd forget me.
In this short moment we were hugging, my tongue burned with all the things I wanted to say to him, but couldn't.
I had to restrain myself.
Instead, I put all my suppressed emotions into the embrace.
'I love you, I love you, I love you,' I kept repeating in my head, wishing nothing more than that I could say all of this out loud, and have him say it back to me.

Way too soon, the hug was over. With an effort to not look affected by it, I turned to Peter and embraced him. "I'll see you soon, too."

"Yep," He replied when we let go. His head was red. "It was very nice to get to know you these past two years."

I smiled at him and directed my next words to all of them. "You too. Thanks for letting me in on some minor secret missions."

"Oh, about that...," James' eyes twinkled. "We've let Filch confiscate the map."

"You've let Filch do what!?" I repeated in disbelief. Why did he say that so... So proudly?? They had put their heart and soul into this project, and he didn't care that it was in Filch's possession now?!

"Calm down, Freya," Remus tried to reassure me calmly. "We let him take it on purpose- that way, only real mischief makers will manage to find and use it when they are at Hogwarts."

It was quiet when I tried to comprehend what he'd just told me. "So you wanted Filch to get the map?" I asked again.

They nodded, grinning proudly, and that made me smile, too.

Only these boys would ever think of such a thing, really.
"You're weirdos," I shook my head, and their grins widened.

James nodded. "That's the spirit."

Remus checked his watch. "Uhm, lads, we should really get going to the train, now."

"Oh, right," I said and we quickly made our way to the boat house. Just like how we'd first entered the grounds of Hogwarts, that's how we left them - by boat and with Hagrid, once all of the seventh years had arrived. (I shared a boat with Aleya, Valerie and Lina, but returned to the marauders once we'd crossed the lake.) In Hogsmeade, the scarlet Hogwarts Express was already waiting for the students.

James, Remus and Peter entered the train first, and then it was only me and Sirius (along with some other students) left on the platform.

"You'll sit with the rest of your dorm mates, right?" Sirius asked me and I nodded.
"It's a tradition."

He nodded understandingly, before pulling me into a last one armed hug from the side. "Okay then. Bye Frey."

"Goodbye Sirius."

And just like that, Sirius pecked my cheek and disappeared into the train.

My body tensed and my hand wandered to the spot where I could still feel the tingly sensation Sirius' lips had set off.

The butterflies were followed by a painful and all too familiar tug in my chest.

Get your act together!

And with one final look back at Hogwarts, capturing its beauty one last time, I entered the Hogwarts Express and set foot into the new chapter of my life.

Okay, from now on, everything is uncertain!

As promised, this was the last chapter at Hogwarts.

How do you feel? 😈
What do you think will happen? (In case I don't reply, it's because I don't want to spoil anything hehe. I'll probably just reply with 'we'll see' and stuff like that 😂)

Stay happy!
Xoxo, your fangirl