Chapter 65

The first thing that came to my mind:
He wanted to fight Voldemort now?

The second thing I thought: What could he have found out? Would this be true? Reliable? What if it really was horrible?

The third thing: Could I be crazy enough to believe him?

Then my mind spun back: If it was true that Regulus wanted to leave the Death Eaters, Sirius would be really happy. And I would be relieved, because we wouldn't 'cover' for him anymore.

With all that running through my mind, I managed the impossible and voiced all of my thoughts in one very expressive exclamation: "What!?"

Regulus bit his lip nervously. "Voldemort keeps this top secret, he tells noone about it because it's the only way to defeat him. At the moment, he's practically immortal."

My heart dropped with each word he spoke, too scared that it was true. I didn't want it to be true, so I clung onto anything that suggested Regulus was lying.
If it was top secret, how would he know?
He was lying; he was trying to give the order false information.
There must be more than one way to defeat Voldemort.
There's no way he was immortal.

Regulus apparently saw the doubts in my eyes. "I wish I were lying," he said quietly. He looked me dead in the eyes. "Have you ever heard of Horcruxes?"

Not that I could recall, so I shook my head no.
For a very brief moment, the ghost of a smile appeared on his lips. "I expected that. I don't know what I'd think of you if you'd known this super dark magic -"

He stopped himself when I raised a skeptic eyebrow. "What I'm trying to say," Regulus started again, "is that a Horcrux is one of the - if not the most dark magic filled item there is. It contains a part of one's soul and is nearly indestructible, so even if you managed to throw a killing curse at the Dark Lord, it wouldn't kill him because a part of his soul is still intact and safe."

Honestly, I didn't know how to react or what to say. I didn't even know what to think.
Why was he telling me this, and was it really true? How did he know so  much about that, if it was such dark magic?

"So you mean Voldemort has a Horcrux, and he's immortal? How would you know that?"

Regulus fidgeted with his fingers. "It's a long story, but I only really have the theory now because the Dark Lord has recently asked to borrow my family's house elf. Kreacher told me that they'd visited some cave and that he'd hidden something in there. I can't know for sure, but I believe that's a Horcrux."

I blinked, flabbergasted. This was a lot to take in. And it all seemed so random. I still wasn't sure that I could believe him. "Why are you telling me all of this?"

Regulus stopped his fidgeting and looked me in the eyes again. I wasn't really talented at reading people, but my time in the Auror programm had helped me improve. And I really had to rely on my people reading right now, so I put everything into it.

I didn't want all of that to be true. But Regulus looked really genuine and desperate. He almost made me believe him, and that really confused me.

"Are you tipping other Death Eaters off, telling them where I live? It's a trap, isn't it? Why would you tell me all of this, it's not like I can help you!?"

"I'm not tipping anyone off except you. I need someone else to know this, I can't be the only one. This information must be guarded carefully. It can't get into the wrong hands, or Voldemort will be warned. It's our advantage if he doesn't know we know. So only a selected few can know, and right now, that's you and me."

Love You In My Mind // Sirius Blackजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें