Chapter 19: Harper

I wasn't sure which lifeless prick in UCLA's School of Law decided that my only class started at nine am every day Monday through Friday, but my first day of class I woke up early, tiptoed around the dorm room like an academic-driven fairy, dressed in the clothes I'd picked out the night before, put on makeup and styled my hair, sat for a nice hot breakfast in Feast downstairs, walked comfortably to the law building, and arrived ten minutes prior to class.

After I set up my desk with my notes, sifted one more time through my color-coded notebooks, I glanced over the pre-readings that were assigned for today's homework before class started until I already had them memorized.

Just fucking kidding.

"Harper?" The soft finger pad from one of Li's tiny fingers poked my cheek as her voice filtered into my ears. "You have class at nine, right?"

"Fuck, what time is it?" My heavy eyelids fluttered as I stretched up my arms and knocked my knuckles against the ceiling that hung just three feet over my lofted bed. My belly was down on my bed, face sideways based on the strain in my neck, and drool pooled in the corner of my mouth.

"Eight-forty five." Her dark eyes looked over a piece of notebook paper that was the same one I assumed she'd scribbled my schedule on last night. "You have class in the School of Law, right? Room one hundred and eight. That's on the east edge of campus so you have to run down Bruin Way."

"Fuck." I palmed both hands into my face and groaned when I realized I'd pressed them right into my overnight face mask. "Thanks, Li."

So instead of an academic equivalent of a Snow White wakeup, I flew out of bed, wiped my face while I peed as my only bathroom activities, grabbed my bag with whatever laid inside, and slipped on a pair of shoes.

Instantly, I remembered exactly why I hated running as I ran to class, dodged around people who mingled together or walked on the sidewalks. I groaned as I ran around the football stadium, a straight shot past the library, hooked a left on Portola Plaza then right on Dickson like Li had shown me on our walk, wheezed like an asmatic, and blinked away the lightheadedness that fogged my brain as I walked up the School of Law's tiered front stairs.

Along the way, one hand clutched my braless chest in a two-fold effort that avoided straining my back as well as possibly giving myself a black eye. My other hand shoveled in a granola bar and I chugged a Red Bull in between my raspy breaths.

I was still five minutes late and ceremoniously crashed into the classroom like a wild banshee and slid into the furthest seat near the back that was available. My skin was soaked in sweat, a hot burn seared my lungs with each now emphysemic breath, and my dignity long forgotten.

"You okay?" A boy two seats over asked me as his eyes, so dark brown they almost looked black, studied me.

I squinted at him while my heartbeat wildly pulsed in my neck. A small bead of perspiration slid down the side of my neck and snaked right between my breasts as I got a better look at him. All my crevices were damp with perspiration, from behind my knees, under my arms, and a small heating pad had taken up residence between my legs. Thankfully, I wore a black tank sleep shirt but internally I cringed at the reminder I was due for a Brazilian.

Another attempt that obviously hadn't deterred me enough from Officer Davis.

My classmate was obviously more of a morning person, since he looked bright-eyed and well put together in a solid black setup and thick gold chain with a cross on the end. His black hair was very short in a caesar cut that faded towards his ears and neck. Perfectly white teeth flashed in contrast against his dark skin as mouth gaped at my current state. The obvious musculature tone he carried under his fitted T-shirt and sweatpants hinted he was either one of those annoying people who got up early and started their days at the gym or, at worse, an athlete.