Chapter 32: Jake

Harper's phone buzzed in her hands and she fumbled it a few times. I narrowed my eyes when she just stared at it. At the name 'Eddie' flashed up, I tapped her screen with her own finger. She blinked at the movement and averted her eyes.

"Hi Eddie," she murmured quietly as her eyes glossed over and voice turned husky. "I - oh... Oh, fuck... Fuck... Oh?"

That's a lot of oh's.

Harper's voice shifted on each one, from weighted guilt to sadness and surprise.

"Umm, yeah if you are," she continued quietly and frowned up at me. "Are you? ...You sure? ... You're really fucking sure, Eddie."

She frowned harder. "No... yes. Fuck, Eddie... I'm sorry... doesn't make it - Oh. Yeah." Her tears tipped over the rims of her eyes, clumped her lashes, and rolled over the cheeks. Red irritation crept into her eye corners and turned her irises aquamarine. "Yeah... 'Bye."

Since this wasn't my exchange, I gripped my hands onto the edge of my deck chair and squeezed my knees together. No matter how much I wanted to wipe Harper's tears away, they weren't for me. At least, not until she said goodbye, but she turned right when my hand reached for her cheek.

"Sorry," she whispered and stared out at the last lines of pink streaked through the navy blue night sky. The ocean water had turned black, broken up only by subtle white wave caps. "We'll have to finish talking later. I'm not very good company right now, Jake."

My jaw tightened, along with my fists. "What did he say?"

Harper swept her fingers over her forehead and sat silently for a few moments. Her eyes narrowed and she mumbled, "He broke up with me."

Fuck yes! I mean... Fake sympathy face, Jake.

I don't have one.

I fought back the corners of my mouth but they twitched and tugged up. My heart pounded so hard that the inside of my ears vibrated.

"And stop looking at me with that smug as fuck grin," she added dryly.

"Sorry. Want me to walk you back to your room?" I asked and stood up because the waiter now returned with a large, black tray in his hands.

"Actually..." she mumbled as her eyes dulled. "Can you walk me to the beach? I haven't seen it yet."

"Of course, hang on." I gestured for her to stay put and intercepted the waiter. "Sorry, she's not feeling so well. Can you have this boxed up or something?"

His eyes drifted over to Harper, who sniffled quietly, then narrowed his eyes at me. "We can send it to Miss Reynold's room. If you need anything else, then please let me know."

"Thanks." I nodded and walked back to Harper's chair, where she blinked a few times at my outstretched hand.

Her cold fingers trembled as they locked within mine. So, once I gently pulled her up to stand, I removed my shirt and wrapped it around her shoulders. Even with the rainbow colors and how the sleeves fell to her elbows, she looked better in it than I did.

She drew her eyebrows together at my bare, exposed chest, so I clenched my abs tighter and smirked at her... all while my nipples tingled in the cold air. Her puffy eyes sparkled by the time they lifted to mine. "I don't know whether to ask if you're experiencing shrinkage or have been hitting up extra gym sessions."

My skin warmed the longer her eyes roamed over me. She was right, I'd gone back into training and conditioning mode the past few months. I'd also gone back to my USC counselors, not for anger management but for options on how to more effectively communicate.