Chapter 49: Logan

A/N: mature content. ❤️🤪❤️

I've never seen two people with more obvious feelings for each other who are absolutely shit at expressing them than Harper Reynolds and Jake Harrison.

At Harper's announcement that the two were... Well, I had no fucking clue but neither looked happy about what she'd said. The same disappointment that flickered in Jake's eyes hung heavy in hers, even when she looked down at her lap.

My primary concern, demonstrated by the strong arm I wrapped around my tiny girlfriend's frame, was how stiffly she sat next to me. The longer I glanced down at her, the more color drained from her cheeks. Even her full, pink lips paled as they parted open but her eyes looked less shocked than I would've expected.

Maybe she saw this coming.

Bad choice of words, Logan.

"Ellie?" I squeezed her opposite shoulder with my palm.

Her dark brown, doe-shaped eyes fluttered a few times, then she leaned over and pulled her phone out of her purse. All three of us watched curiously as she typed out what I already knew was a message to our group chat with Wes and Charlie.

Ellie: Switch?

Her one-word question flipped around what the four of us usually arranged for our away games. As one of the team's trainers, and currently the only female student trainer this season, Charlie Montgomery ended up with her own hotel room for road games. Usually Ellie stayed with her while I shared a team room with Wes Brown but occasionally we shifted around without question.

Full honesty, we've switched in both away games so far this season.

Still no one else I'd rather celebrate with... And not just because Wes eats my leftovers and snores like a chainsaw.

I snorted myself at Charlie's responses, related to swiping free hotel food for Wes' bottomless stomach.

Charlie: 👍

Charlie: Wes wants me to ask if you brought your 'large purse' for breakfast tomorrow.

Charlie: Because it's not like we have an all you can eat buffet. 🙄

None of me minded the room switch because I slept better with Ellie next to me. Not even her violent sleep thrashes deterred me, unlike how Wes thought the bathroom walls were soundproof by the mushy conversations he had with Charlie. While Wes was my go-to wide receiver and closest friend on the team that returned this year, one fact remained obvious.

Even living together, I can't get enough of my girl.

I really need to cement this relationship down, before Mom disowns me.

During the summer break, Ellie and I still lived in our miniscule apartment since we'd signed a 12-month lease. She worked in the library oncampus and I attended football camps while we both took two summer classes. Once our lease ended in August, neither of us had the energy to move what little belongings we owned. We renewed the agreement for nine months since we were both on track for May graduation.

And if all goes well this season, then the combine in February and draft in May, then I'll ask her the big question.

After I buy a ring.

Even without an engagement ring, I had the sense that I wasn't going to wait until the NFL draft in May.

Fuck, I'll kneel down in the middle of the Coliseum and ask her before tomorrow's game starts using a rubber band but I don't think that'd go over too well.