Chapter 25: Harper

"No, I'm not," I repeated myself for what felt like the tenth time.

Why can't anyone take the word no anymore?

N-O. Direct and to the point.

Thankfully for Ethan and Kieran's sakes, I hadn't seen either of those clowns since the post-game opener party where Ethan had the balls that he suggested I fucked with Jake's football season. Li saw enough of Kieran for the both of us in the two BioPhys classes they shared.

EJ however, had not-at-all casually mentioned 'the deal,' to me before class the following Thursday, which only earned him my best resting bitch face and middle finger rested against my temple at him for three straight hours. In case he hadn't taken me seriously, I informed him after class that my finger was bigger than what would be left of his dick if he ever brought up that subject to me again.

"Harper," Ellie's voice sounded as tired from this conversation as I felt. With one last effort, she asked, "Please?"

"No." My head shook back and forth even though she couldn't see me, so I added a "Fuck no. Why would I go?"

"Because he doesn't have anyone else," she turned on that sad, almost wistful, puppy dog-eyed tone of voice that made me even more grateful for the distance between us.

"And whose fault is that?" A small snort left me and I lifted my eyes to a pair of curious brown ones that studied me. "Besides, I'm busy."

"The game is at four-ten," Ellie countered, although unsuccessfully from my point of view. "And what plans do you have on a Saturday?"

"I..." My lower lip rolled inward for a moment and I took in a deep, honey and citrus-scented air around me because honestly, I had no plans outside any that involved me, the shower, and another round with HNV.

"Harper, I don't mean this how it sounds but..." Ellie paused for a moment, a telltale sign of an incoming dig, and dug deep she did, "Do you have any friends? Like just hangout type friends?"

The hand that wasn't clutched around my phone palmed my chest and I teased, "Cutting me deep here, Ellie. Li hasn't smothered me in my sleep yet and..."

My voice trailed off as I mentally scanned through any friendship possibilities, not that I'd wanted any. After I'd threatened his manhood, EJ maintained a good three seats between us during every class and we'd exchanged casual 'how's it going, you're not going to dismember me today? good'-type conversations, but that was the extent of our conversations.

Not that my life revolved around football but UCLA had an away game this weekend, although they were relatively close and played against Cal. With their 1pm game start time and a four-hour's distance drive back, the football team probably had another Saturday night party planned.

Since no part of me wanted a repeated request that I fucked over Ellie's brother's season because of a bunch of bruised meathead UCLA egos, I wouldn't have gone to their game even if they'd played at home.

And no part of me wants to see USC's game.

Li though... Don't get me started on her favorite player.

My roommate was actually quite a college football fan and, to my surprise, had added a UCLA Bruins team poster to her Jake shrine.

Pretty sure she's ignoring Meade though.

Damn perceptive Ellie read my mind and offered, "Why don't you take your roommate? I'm sure she'd love to go and meet Jake in person at the game."

"Ellie, I love you but..." My chest expanded with a slow breath in and I pushed out an over exaggerated exhale. "Aren't there like ninety thousand other fans you could ask? Because we both know I prefer Magnums over Trojans anyways."