Chapter 10: Jake

A/N: Mature content. ❤️🛁🤪

Why can't I feel my fingers?

I pried open my heavy-lidded eyes with a low groan and realized my left arm was uncharacteristically cold and numb. Any attempts that I wiggled my fingers only produced icy, needle-like pin pricks into my hand, so I pulled on it, but a weight pressed between my armpit and elbow pinned it in place.

At least it's not my throwing arm's hand.

With a few flicks, each of my fingers felt numb, cold, and swollen but I was completely okay with that when I saw Harper laid next to me.

Fuck yes, she's still here.

A giddy rush ran through me as I blinked her sleeping form into focus. Her lashes laid on her cheeks, in their naturally dark blonde color that matched the random dots of freckles on her nose. With zero shame, I gently lifted up the sheets and peeked at what I hoped pressed up against my side.

Even better, she's still naked.

In a solemn reminder of why she'd come over here, and finally fucking stayed, my eyes roamed over her nose and cheeks, which were pink and slightly swollen.

Fuck, how could her mom just show up?

And I wasn't here for her when it happened.

Anger, more than I'd ever felt for someone I barely knew, surged up inside my gut. My chest constricted tighter the more I studied her bare, pink, slightly parted open lips and listened to the soft, even breaths that passed through them.

The musky, damp smell of sex and perspiration lingered on both of us, but her nearby shoulder also smelled faintly of vanilla and chlorine.

She must've been at the pool but how the fuck did her mom even find her?

While she hadn't told me any details, my mind reeled through the unknown.

And why the fuck is she even showing up... Does she need a kidney?

My functional hand's palm rubbed my forehead when I realized a fact I should've noticed a lot earlier, then mentally cursed myself repeatedly.

Her mom left ten years ago. No wonder she's been a bit... emotional, for her.

Fuck, I should've paid more attention.

My eyes slid closed and I used a few slow, deep breaths until my heartbeat returned to normal.

And fuck, now her mom's here. Who wouldn't feel fucked up by that?

I need to calm down, mentally I'm swearing a lot.

My phone buzzed from where it sat on my dresser. The reminder that today was Monday released a low groan from my chest, but the seven-forty-eight time on my clock showed that we had enough time to get to class.

I hate to wake her up but she probably wants a shower.

"Hey..." I murmured softly and stroked my operable fingers down her cheek. Her skin was so soft and freckles distracted my wakeup effort when a weird urge that I counted them came over me.

While I used gloves during both games and practices, the pads of my fingers were still calloused from football. When her lashes fluttered, I realized it probably felt like I dragged sandpaper over her skin.

I rotated my wrist and stroked the first knuckles on my index and middle fingers down the outline of her cheek. Her lips parted further open and her voice rasped out, "The fuck makes you think I like being petted? Seriously, if you want to jerk off with that hand ever again, then -"