Chapter 46: Jake

"Emily?"

I dropped my bag on the floor near my desk, where it landed probably next to my jaw from how far open it dropped. After a soft thud, my bag slumped over sideways, weighed down with the weight of my smelly equipment. "What are you doing here?"

"Sophia came to see Zach," was her odd, flat-toned response. She flicked a shoulder-length strand of blonde hair over her shoulder like the fact she'd entered a locked bedroom was no big deal.

Big fucking deal to me.

"Let me rephrase that..." My frown deepened at the twelve thirty-seven clock on my desk, I snapped my mouth shut, and crossed my arms over my chest. "How did you get in my room?"

"Sorry, I didn't know where to go..." Her blue-gray eyes, highlighted with heavy makeup that even my tired eyes noticed, blinked up at me. "And your rooms all use the same keys."

So why the fuck pick mine!?

My hands tensed into fists at my sides at what she indirectly stated, that she'd used another guy's key in my lock. The slight twitch in my nostrils signaled I'd flared them out, so I took a slow deep breath and relaxed my hands.

I have one rule with these guys, my room stays locked and empty.

In a low voice, she confirmed what I suspected, "Zach was feeling pretty sorry for himself sitting out tonight, so Sophia's making him... feel better right now."

"I'm sure he, uhh... appreciates that." I nodded slightly, extremely appreciative myself that she spared me any details about how Zach's bruised ego was... fixed.

Still doesn't explain why Sophia's roommate felt the need to let herself into my room.

"He'll be in the next game," I assured Emily with a hand patted on her upper arm, then stepped past her and walked towards my closet with sluggish, heavy steps.

Once there, I groaned quietly and removed my suit coat since my shoulder and bicep muscles felt weighed down with lead. "Don't tell him because I still have to be around his ego, but we need him against UW next week."

"I won't." She giggled and sank down onto my bed. The sight of her there, leaning back with her palms flat into my comforter, bothered me but I wasn't entirely sure why.

Emily and I were as casual of friends as a 'her roommate is dating my roommate-slash-teammate' was. Sophia occasionally brought Emily around for our Friday night movies, which I honestly hadn't participated in since week 1 so I wasn't sure how many times she'd visited.

In my room though is a different story, and a pretty fucked up one if I think about it too much.

She must have picked up on my apprehension because her lower lip rolled under her teeth and her eyes batted up at me. "Sorry, is it okay if I hang out here? I wasn't feeling it being their third wheel."

"Uhh..." None of me was comfortable with that suggestion, but my shoulders lifted up slightly. "To be honest, I'm going to crash pretty soon, Em."

"I'm sure they won't be long," she spoke like she offered me a promise, then tilted her head slightly sideways. "Are you going to movie night on Friday?"

"I probably can't..." I paused for a moment since, as far as I knew, Ellie's plans were that she flew into LAX on Saturday with the Huskies.

So, absent Ellie, there's only one girl I want to spend my Friday night with.

Provided she's not mad at me.

During the ride I gave her back to UCLA, Harper was very, very quiet. She only muttered thanks both times I opened her door for her. I walked her to her dorm entrance doors with the hope that we talked more, but any words that muddied up my brain got stuck in there.