Chapter 26: Jake

From where Jana and I stood in the hallway near Wyatt's room, my eyes never left Harper from the moment she walked in. For one second, my chest squeezed tight at how fucking beautiful she was, even casually dressed. Her blonde hair was down, completely straightened but light and shiny. Her eyes glossed over like mirrors, even from far away, as she watched her younger brother take a big step against his leukemia.

Shit, my eyes were even a bit damp at the sight. He was a good kid.

The fact she walked in with a stocky, inked up guy with short, buzzed hair right behind her clenched my teeth tighter.

I'm definitely taller.

I wasn't sure if he was just a friend but the way his hand lingered close to her ass suggested he wasn't. Surged forwards by a need to know, I congratulated Wyatt with our shared elbow bump, shook his Dad's hand, and gave his mom a polite brush-off smile while mentally I opted for Harper's usual go-to middle finger gesture.

With long steps, I practically chased after Harper to the elevators and, once there, breathed a sigh of relief when she stuck her hand in between the closing doors.

More than a month had passed since I last saw Harper in person, technically two since we'd interacted, and I was irritated with myself at how my usual feelings rose up every fucking time.

Don't get me started on the way my dick still salutes her.

The last time I'd actually seen Harper was at her paralegal graduation ceremony. Mr. Reynolds, indirectly through my Mom's urging, had invited me in one of the most painful, embarrassing moments that I'd averted. Like a pathetic sap, I came with a bouquet of flowers in my hands and got as far as the entrance of her Law School building when I watched as she introduced another guy to her dad.

The surprised look in his eyes showed he hadn't known she was seeing someone but that brief interaction was all I needed before I'd turned around and handed the coral-colored roses to another graduate before I left.

Seriously doubt that's why he invited me but... fuck, that still hurts a month later.

And now, the same guy who'd given her flowers, met her dad, and hugged her close to him came for her brother's cancer bell ceremony. I shouldn't have needed so many smacks of reality before I admitted defeat. The cynical, self-preservation side of my brain fully agreed.

She doesn't want you, Jake.

She's moved on.

So should -

Two small fists beat into the center of my chest blinked me out of my thoughts.

"The hell was that, Jake!?" Jana fumed, her eyes narrowed into thin slits.

"I..." One of my hands rubbed over the back of my neck. "Sorry about that."

"Sorry for not asking me to be your girlfriend or sorry for using me as one to make another girl jealous?" she spat back with one more fist punch for emphasis.

Guilty on both charges.

"Uhh, both?" My shoulders lifted up an inch and she groaned.

Two of her fingers pinched her nose and she groaned again, louder and full of frustration. "Last I knew, two dates and me making it crystal clear that I'm heading out of state wasn't a relationship."

"I know, but..." I wrapped my hands around her ass and squeezed gently. "I also made it clear we could have fun before then, right?"

"And I reminded you that isn't what you need," she huffed and swatted my hands off her.