Ch. 34

It was a big day for the people of Camelot, today is the day that Arthur comes of age. Meaning a celebration is in order to happen this night, which (Y/n) was excited for as she gets to drink from a goblet while watching Merlin serve.

The (h/c) haired girl was seen walking beside Gaius as they made their way to the main dining hall for the feast.

"What do you think we'll be eating tonight?" (Y/n) asked as she fixed her sleeve as the slight outside adjusted them out of place.

He looked at her before looking forward, "the same like always, but Arthur may have changed that as it is his night"

"Hopefully, it seems all you people eat is chicken" she couldn't help but roll her eyes as the mere thought of the poultry was causing her to want to throw up.

A little laugh came from the older men, "if you must know, chicken is good for you"

"But it's better with rice, having it with vegetables each time is torture" she mentioned as she remembered a good dish she had back at her old life, it was a chicken lettuce wrap that she surely misses in these times.

Gaius looked at her, "rice?"

She nodded, "I'm sure Uther is hoarding it somewhere, using it only for ceremonies or feasts" she pointed out.

A look of understanding appeared on his face, "ah, you are right about that"

A hum came from (Y/n), "so he is being a stingy old men" that comment earned her a hit on the arm, she recoiled back as she grabbed her arm, "hey!"

"I really need to teach you proper manners, insulting the king like that" Gaius shook his head as the two of them approached the main dining hall.

When they walked in Gaius went toward to a few people he seemed to know, leaving (Y/n) alone as she didn't want to be awkward with the older folks. She decided to look for either of the four people who were around her age, someone like Morgana as she seemed to make it more enjoyable as she didn't like these sort of things as well, her eyes travelled as she saw said girl in the room. She grabbed a goblet from a moving tray as she walked over to the raven haired girl, who was having a chat with Guinevere.

(Y/n) raised her cup in a greeting form, "evening ladies"

The two turned their attention onto her, both having a smile on their faces.

"Hello (Y/n), enjoying the party?" Morgana asked her as the good hostess she is.

She nodded, "I just got here but it seems to be a relaxing one so far"

Guinevere nodded her head, "hopefully, it is the prince's birthday"

"Speaking of Arthur, where is he?" (Y/n) looked around to see if she could catch the sight of his blond hair.

A soft laugh came from the raven haired girl, "last I saw him he was in his chamber worried about his appearance" this earned a little laugh from the two other girls.

Out of the noise of chattering and the mass of important people in the room, Guinevere noticed the other raven haired person in the group.

She gave a gentle wave to him, "hello Merlin"

Merlin walked up with an empty tray as he had gave the last drink to someone, "hello everyone, fancy seeing you all here" he joked a bit.

"Working at it I see" (Y/n) commented as she bumped hips with the boy, causing him to lose his balance a bit as it was un-expecting.

He got his balance back as he eyed the girl, "been working all day, it is not easy taking care of the prince's hair" His commented made the three girls start to laugh again.

Morgana nodded her head with a bright smile on her face, "good to see I'm not the only one seeing the princess needs her upkeep"

A snort came from (Y/n) as she was enjoying making fun of one of the main cast, something out of the norm as she hasn't been able to be with all of them at the same time.

A wine glass being tapped interrupted the little fun they were having, they all turn to see that it was Uther who had gotten everyone's attention.

He dropped the hand that held the knife as he spoke, "welcome everyone, tonight we celebrate the life of my son" he gestured to his left, where Arthur sat as he waved, "we are also celebrating this joyous occasion as he shall be crowned as Prince of Camelot!"

A roar of cheering is heard as people clap and cheer for the prince, (Y/n) did little clap on her wrist as she was holding a goblet in one hand.

Putting the glass onto the table, one of his servants passed Uther the prince's crown while Arthur stood up from his seat and made his way to the front of the long table and kneeled, facing the crowd. The king slowly made his way around the table and stood behind Arthur, holding the crown in the air to make it more dramatic.

"From here on forth, I give you your crown prince of Camelot!" He crowned Arthur as he spoke.

Everyone clapped and cheered once again, but with more energy.

(Y/n) leaned toward Guinevere, "but wasn't he already prince? Why call him crowned prince?"

She leaned toward her, "it's because he has come of age"

"Is that like code for puberty or something?"

The sound of glass breaking made the (h/c) haired girl scream as she was not expecting such a violent sound, she wasn't alone on screaming. She brought a hand to her mouth as everyone turned to the cause of the ruckus, only for their eyes to widen as a black-clad knight had jumped through the window, riding on the top of a fully black horse.

The knights were quick to move to be in front of those unarmed, hands on swords as they prepared to fight if the King called for it.

The horse walked forward a bit before stopping in front of the King and Prince, who stood there on their guard.

"What is the meaning of this?" Uther demanded as Arthur stood up.

Instead of verbally speaking, the black-clad knight grabbed onto their left gauntlet and pulled it off their hand. Then proceed to throw it onto the ground in front of Arthur, earning gasps from everyone.

It goes quiet as the knight stands there, not speaking a word.

Arthur looked at him with a serious look, he then moved to grab the gauntlet but it was taken before he could grab it. It was one of the knights of Camelot that made the move, the very own Sir Owain.

"I accept your challenge" Owain accepted the challenge.

"It will be single combat at noon to the death" the black-clad knight said before taking the reins, galloping out of the dining hall.