Chapter 4: New Job?

L I L Y

As we decided, Taylor and I met at lunch at our usual restaurant near her office. We ordered chicken burritos with fries as the side. Even though we talked and ate, I couldn't help but notice my optimistic best friend, Taylor, zoning out and playing with her short black curls. 

Taylor Kennedy used to be old money from the Upper East Side crowd, from studying in a private school and enrolling in after-school academies to getting into Ivy Leagues colleges, attending posh parties and breaking as many rules as possible; she left that part of her life for a life of an adult where one cares more about paying bills, finding one's purpose in life and making one's name in the world.

I break the silence by clearing my throat and asking, "What is it?"

Taylor blinks and looks up at me. "What?"  

"Oh, nothing! It's just weird, and I can't help but notice that I am speaking more than you for the first time. You barely said a sentence to me this whole time. You keep zoning out—" I shrug when she leans back and clicks her tongue, "Oh really?" 

"C'mon, Tay, tell me what happened!" 

She narrows her eyes and throws me a skeptical look, "Why do you assume something happened? Maybe I don't wish to talk—" I interrupt her and snap, "Nonsense!" 

I then sip my water and clear my throat, "I am pretty sure something's up." 

"Should I be worried?" I ask, raising my eyebrows. 

Taylor takes a moment of silence and then scoffs, "I can ask you the same." crossing her arms. 

"What do you mean?" I frown.

She straightens and leans forward, "Do you think I don't notice when my best friend feels uncomfortable? If my mind is troubled, so is yours. I see you zoning out too." 

My jaw tenses, and I purse my lips in a thin line. 

Should I even tell her? 

Taylor and I have known each other for two years now, we met at work, and despite being opposites, we hit off almost immediately. She knows about my fucked up life before, has been by my side since then, and, in fact, was the one who introduced me to baking. So what started as a hobby turned into something I grew interested in and something to live for in this life. 

But I don't know how Tay will react if I tell her who I have been thinking about or who can't seem to get out of my head — Alastair Alexander, yes, the handsome man I ran into in the morning. 

It doesn't seem to be a big deal, except I totally ruined his appearance. 

Our meeting was pure coincidence and of very little significance, so why am I thinking about him so much? 

Not only that, but the things which were never noticeable have become noticeable, like his interviews in magazines, the commercials and discussions he participated in, and a massive billboard with the guy in a three-piece suit and his signature dazzling smile. 

How blindly was I living my life?

I shake my head and look back at my friend, who snorts, "Come on, girl! Something is going on with you! Lay it on me, tell me what's troubling—" I intently stare at her. Having known her for two years, I have learned much about Taylor. Her expression would be as calm as a sea, but her lip would twitch, her nostrils would flare, and she is likely to change topics and avoid eyes which means she is having a meltdown or close to having one.

I lean forward and place a hand on hers. "Tay?"

She looks up at me, surprised.

I encouragingly squeeze her hand and cough up, "You know that I am here to help you with whatever you need—" "So be my pastry chef!" Taylor interrupts me after a sigh.