Chapter 8: Did I Fall For Her Scheme?

L I L Y

By Friday, my life seems to be playing a cruel game of fate with me, although my life has always been heartless and insensitive. Because ever since the other day, I have been seeing his face everywhere, and yesterday, I almost ran into him during lunch. 

They say that the streets of New York are so busy that you would never run into the same person again, so why am I seeing him everywhere?

I feel like I have become a prisoner of those magical blue eyes; the moment I close my eyes, those eyes keep looming over me. 

I sigh when Linda barges in, huffing with her phone, followed by Zara. 

I straighten up and frown, "What is it?"

Linda catches her breath and looks at me. "I got a call."

"Okay, from whom?" I ask.

Zara crosses her arms and leans beside me; she seems just as curious as I am.

"Garrett," Linda answers.

"Ooo, is he that hot guy with middle-parted hair and gold frame round specs? One of our regulars, right?" Zara exclaims. 

"As in, the guy works in Alexander Corporation?" I blurt out, and Linda nods when Zara coquettishly smiles, "He works there? Wow!" 

I shake my head and look at Linda as I ask, "Okay, what about him? Did he say something?"  "Mr Alexander wants us to be present at Le Meridien Hotel tomorrow." She replies. 

"Woah!" Zara exclaims while I stare at my boss, dumbfounded, and then blurt out, "Why?"

"I don't know, but Garrett told me something about us representing the bakery or something—" Linda shrugs. 

"We're going to Le Meridien Hotel! Imagine meeting those rich people and seeing their glamorous lives up close and personal. It sounds exciting, isn't it?" Zara interrupts and smacks her lips as I notice her face in excitement. 

"What?" I frown. 

Zara sighs and pouts,  "Ugh, c'mon, Lily!" 

"We're going to attend a rich party," She amusedly scoffs and then claps, muttering to herself, "This is going to be so good for me, a chance to be a part of that world I always dreamt of, glamour, fame and money!" she turns her head and grins at me as I fret in silence. Something doesn't fit; add up. It's strange. Why would CEO Alastair Alexander invite mere bakery employees to a grand party?

Linda gazes back and forth and voices, "I guess it wouldn't be bad." 

I stare at them and snap, "What?"

"We're doing good in the market, and our baked products are popular." Linda clicks her tongue and shrugs, "The cafe is quite trendy among people. They like the things we have and promote us on their socials. Not only that, but Garrett is Mr Alexander's secretary. He must have said a word about us—" "Bingo!" Zara snaps her fingers, delighted with a pesky grin. It's annoying how they do have a point. 

I stay mute until the oven timer dings!

I look and move over at the oven with my mitts on. I can feel Zara and Linda looking at me when I sigh and then look back at them as I clear my throat, "Well, in that case, you two go to the party."

"What?" Linda and Zara say in unison.

"Yeah, it's not like it's compulsory for everyone to attend, right? Rae isn't going either, right?" 

I take the tray with crumb bars out of the oven. 

"Because Rae has a family thing, that's why." Linda replies, and then Zara frowns and butts in, "So you are not coming with us?"