Chapter 13: Unofficial Date?

L I L Y

The weekend finally comes. I straighten up and dip my finger into the mixing bowl of chocolate heaven. I smile proudly at the perfect mix of batter before I pour it down into the bundt pan. I inhale the sweet yeasty scent in the room, better than any perfume. I place the pan inside the oven and set a timer.

I step back and let out a sigh of relief when someone calls me, "Lily!"

I turn my head and smile at Rae, "Hey, how do you do? Your school got over?"

Rae shrugs and groans, "Only it's time to go to the after-school academy."

I move to her and squeeze her cheeks, "Aww, such a hardworking girl you are!"

"You betcha, I am! I must be and do my best, so my mother doesn't revoke my privileges." She clicks her tongue, "Oh, here's your drink! You have been working hard too."

For the next two days, things were quite hectic, but nothing I couldn't handle. 

I worked, met with Taylor and her team, and researched and tried new recipes—to my surprise and astonishment, Alastair and I have been in touch, casually texting despite our busy schedules. 

He would be busier than me. 

After all, he is the CEO of a company.

"Thanks!" I take the cup and sip the creamy liquid, letting out a little satisfied moan.

That's when my phone on the countertop buzzes and lights up. Rae and I look when she walks over and hands me my phone, "Here."

I thank her once again and look to check the notification. But when I see who it is from, I awkwardly look back and forth between her and my phone before I click on the screen and read the message. It's from Alastair being whiny about attending back-to-back meetings today. A subtle smile appears on my face when she takes a deep breath and clicks her tongue, "Wow!"

"Huh?" I blink and look back at her.

"Oh, nothing. It's just I've never seen you smile like that before."

"Like what?" I frown.

Rae shrugs, "You seem jovial."

I blush. "It's not a big deal—" "Also, you have been on the phone so much these days. So, who is it from? Who is the person who made you smile like that?" Rae asks, interrupting me and the teasing tone in her voice isn't subtle.

Unfortunately, I feel my cheeks heat up as she exclaims, "OMG! There is someone, isn't it?"

"I knew it!" she snaps her fingers and jumps excitedly. 

I blush and clasp my phone tighter in my hands when she claps and clears her throat, "Oh Gosh! If you have anyone, just tell me right away, okay?" she scoffs, "I so knew it! I can't wait to see the look on Zara's face. Ha, she so owes me twenty bucks—" 

I cut her in and snap, "What?" 

"Uh-oh!" Rae gulps.

I cross my arms and ask, "Did you guys bet on me?"

Like a Cheshire cat, she grins at me.

Disappointed, I raise my brow.

Rae coughs up and explains, "Look, it's just a day-old bet, Lily. It's not a big deal. Zara and I were talking after we noticed you smiling on your phone yesterday, and I thought you were finally seeing someone while Zara said it could be a meme or a joke—" 

I snap, "So, you thought it was okay to gamble and bet on it, huh?" 

She mumbles and pouts, "Sorry."