Chapter 18: Did I get Rejected?

L I L Y

Hungover, Taylor groans and walks out of the bedroom. 

"Oh, thank you for waking up, Your Highness." I mock as I mix the cake batter, and she groans, "Ugh, shut up!"

I roll my eyes and huff, "What's the point of drinking so much when you get sick the next day?"

Taylor sits on the island stool and sheepishly smiles, "Because that's the beauty of drinking and getting drunk."

"Oh, please! I don't need you to be poetic and eat the soup I prepared for you. It'll help you with your hangover." I say.

"And another reason for getting drunk is I get to have what my amazing best friend cooks for me." Taylor playfully grins, and I shake my head as I focus on my work.

"So, what have you been up to, and how long?" she asks, initiating a conversation.

"I just wanted to try some recipes."

"But didn't we send you the list confirmed by the company team?"

I nod, "Every person has the option to either live a life according to society or to explore the unexplored and look beyond the conventional ways of life. Robert Frost tells us about the choices we have to make in life and what is the right choice for us because once we make that choice, we can never retrace our path and go back."

"Now, look, who's being poetic and what's your point?" She sarcastically mocks and chews the vegetables in the broth.

Before I can respond, my phone rings and Taylor mutters, "Oh, it must be the loverboy! Gosh, it's like you two are inseparable nowadays, which is good because—" 

"It's an unknown number, and my point was every person should explore and experiment with new things in life —" she grimaces, and then I answer the call, "Hello?"

"Hi, Lily! It's me, Adaline."

"Oh, hey—" I look over at an overly interested best friend and state, "Adaline!"

Taylor narrows her eyes as I fake a smile at her and turn around to focus on the call. "So, what makes you call me?"

"Aww, you don't even care that I called you." Adaline pouts.

"Uh, it's not like that." I protest.

"I am just confused as to how you got my number," I ask her.

"Oh, that was easy. I blackmailed a 6-foot 3-inch male who didn't tell anyone about his dirty little secret."

I raise my eyebrow, "Are you talking about Alastair?"

Taylor looks up again and hushes, "What about him?"

"You are smart, girl!" Adaline praises.

"What about him?" I repeat Taylor's question to Adaline, who takes a deep breath and huffs, "Sorry, no can do. I promised him not to say a word because I wanted your number."

I turn to Taylor and shake my head, pouting.

She slams her fist on the table and exclaims, "Dang it!"

I clear my throat and ask, "So, is there something you want to talk to me about?"

"Oh, well, I am hosting a party at the Fraiser bar, and I want to invite you," she answers.

"Invite me?" I frown. "But I don't fit with—" Taylor groans and gets up as she snatches my phone, and I snap, "Hey," when she speaks on the call, "Don't worry, she will be there."

Taylor speaks again, "Oh, no need to thank me. I am glad that you are making her open to the world."

I narrow my eyes and swat her arm as we both glare at each other.