Chapter 23: It Breaks My ♥

L I L Y

"Um, hello!"

A kind-looking man looks up and politely asks me, "Oh, hello, miss. Can I help you with something?"

"I reserved a table here five days back."

"Oh, by what name, Miss." the host questions with a smile.

"McAllister. The table was reserved under Lillian McAllister." I respond.

"Sure, give me a minute to check, please."

"Okay!" I clench my hands together and smile. I am so nervous about today. What if I offend or disrespect her intentionally or not? What if I come out as a boring cheap girl unworthy to date her nephew — "Miss?" the host clears his throat and looks up at me.

"Yes." I blink and force myself to have a pleasing smile.

"I'll escort you to room no. 4, so please follow me."

For a moment, in a daze, I frown and cough up, "Excuse me, but I believe I had reserved a table and not a room. I even called in yesterday to be certain."

"Oh, right! About your table, there was a cancellation."

Uh! I blurt out, "What?"

"Follow me, please!" the host resumes his steps, and I take a deep breath before I indeed follow him with tiny steps and look around at how lavishly decorated and beautiful the place is. The restaurant is one of the nicest restaurants on the Upper East Side, and I asked Taylor to book on my behalf. The low lighting, fresh flowers, tasteful artwork, candlelight and classical music make it all very romantic.

But I am not here for a romantic date but lunch with an aunt.

Not just an aunt but my boyfriend's aunt, who is also his legally adopted mother.

It is said that meeting your partner's family can be painfully uncomfortable, and it is mandatory to make a good impression because if not, you can tell your partner bye-bye the next moment.

That's the reason I'm not only nervous but I'm terrified. Even though I let the girls pick out an appropriate outfit of a pink check blazer and pleated skirt with a white tie-neck blouse and paired it with open-toe platform heels and help me with my hair and makeup, I still feel underdressed being here.

"We are here, Miss."

I blink back to reality and check out the room when the host pulls a chair and smiles at me. I thank him, but before asking, he informs me, "And Mrs Alexander will be here soon. In the meantime, can I get you a drink, perhaps a Martini?"

I nod and thank him again. "Perhaps, just a glass of water."

"Sure, Miss."

He leaves the room. 

"So, wait, are you saying that Alastair's aunt, the Chairperson herself, texted to meet you?" Adaline and Taylor inquire for the umpteenth time* as I roll my eyes and slump back into the chair as I huff, "Yup, she did."

*for exaggerating purposes*

"Oh my god! This is big news." 

"It is?" I frown.

"Of course, this would be your first meeting with the family before marriage," Adaline exclaims. 

Taylor and I choke and cough on the topic as we gape at the third person. 

"Marriage? Don't you think things are moving too fast between you two, huh?" my best friend whispers to me. 

Wanting to cry, I sigh, "I don't know what's going on." before I look up at Adaline, "Alastair and I have only been going on dates and spending time together. I don't think so; it's about marriage. His aunt did ask for me to come to see her, but—"