Chapter 11: It's Not Just A Crush

L I L Y

Monday morning—the start of a new week, and if it weren't for me, Taylor would have been late for her meeting at the Alexander Corporation. I nervously clasp my hands on the basket and look around, wondering why I let her convince me to accompany her to the very glass building that I find so intimidating. I seriously don't know why I am here. The clacking against the polished floor makes me cringe whenever I look up, and that's when Taylor makes her appearance with her team, looking as fresh as a daisy.

She doesn't look like she was inebriated last night and worked up late with a heavy hangover in the morning. She fit right in with these people, so gracefully and formal in her lime green power suit and a pair of suede mary jane with her hair tied in a neat ponytail. At the same time, I threw on a jacket over my most comfy hoodie and washed jeans from my closet because I was making muffins before waking Taylor up.

My grip on the basket tightens as I shudder and cower in the cold. 

Why are these people using the air conditioners in mid-November? Do they believe it's summertime or what, in their thin yet classy clothes? I open my hair and try to cover the back of my neck from the chilly air blasting off.

"You, okay?" Taylor comes to my side.

"Are you done with your meeting?" I blink and ask anticipatorily.

Taylor shrugs and sighs, "Actually, no! Alastair is yet to arrive. It looks like he is running late due to traffic."

Oh.

I purse my lips and nod as she whispers, "Wait, are you okay?"

"What?" I look up, and she shrugs, "You do look a little sick—" "Oh," I click my tongue and answer, "It's chilly out here." "Oh! Should I ask one of these people to show you a warm room instead of waiting in the lobby?" Taylor murmurs, more like to herself, as she looks around when I take her hand and shake my head, "No need. I can wait here."

"But?"

"Just answer me one thing," I say.

"Anything." Taylor blurts out.

"I don't know, but do I really have to be here?"

She stares at me with a hand on her hip and pouts, "What are you talking about, huh? Of course, you have to be—no, must be here."

I tilt my head and sigh, "Tay, I am just a part-timer you hired for this event. I do not think my presence—" she straightens up and leans down to take my hand in hers. She gives me a soft squeeze to stop me and says, "Your presence is important here." 

I frown.

She takes a deep breath and states, "Firstly, you are doing me a favour, and I would be comfortable with you being here."

I roll my eyes. "Oh, please! You are always so full of confidence, and you never get nervous."

With a soft smile, Taylor continues, "I know, but I still want you to be around. Secondly, no one else except you here knows anything about a bakery. Nobody even knows a 'b' of bakery or baking. So you are an expert that I need to be here."

Aww, that is sweet to hear.

Taylor passes me an apprehensively hopeful smile as I scoff, "Fine!" "Yay!" she exclaims, and I grin when Felicia comes up to us and says, "Excuse me! Mr Alexander would arrive in half an hour or so." 

What? 

"Anyway, there is something you guys have to fill out a survey form." 

"Survey form? Huh? Why? What is it?" Taylor grabs a paper from Felicia, who is holding quite a bunch of them, as she replies, "Mr Alexander asked Garrett to ensure his employees and anyone in this building fill out the survey form, and he chose the questions—" she goes on as Taylor passes me one too.