Chapter 10: It's A Breakup!

L I L Y

The following morning, I worked a lot.

Baking looks simple but is a complex process requiring full attention. I love to bake, but today it feels like I am using baking as a distraction. 

Because I can't forget his look when the car passed him, he looked so sad. 

I straighten up and sigh. 

Even though I feel bad but I know it was necessary to shoot his hopes down. 

I blink back to reality and stare at the mess I made. I run my hand through my bun and huff, "I am so not in my right mind today!" 

I grab the pastries and greet the customers cheerily. Rae approaches to help me but holds a pie and gorges at it. "I don't think I can ever lose weight."

"Aww, don't worry, you'll look cute even then." I grin.

"Haww, how can you say that, Lily! I am trying hard to maintain my weight—" Rae pouts as I chuckle when she contradicts herself by taking another bite. I smile at the next customer.

"So, how's Zara doing?" Rae asks.

"Hmm?"

"She was quite drunk." Rae shakes her head and snorts, "I don't understand why people drink so much!"

I raise my brow, "Didn't you want to drink last night?"

Flustered, Rae narrows her eyes at me and snaps, "Ugh, stop being on my case, Lily!"

She tries to take another chocolate pastry when I slap her hand, "Stop eating! These are for the customers—" She groans and looks at me as she clasps her hand in the other. I huff, "Firstly, I am not on anyone's case, and secondly, you contradict your own statements."

"I am eighteen, and I can be as flaky as I want," Rae grunts. 

I roll my eyes when she repeats her question, "So, is Zara okay? She didn't give you a hard time as usual, huh?" I take a deep breath and shake my head, responding, "She slept like a baby. And, you know, she has a very responsible roommate to take care of, right?" she nods, and I shrug, "Still, I left two Advil tablets on her bedside, just in case."

"That's a relief—" Rae clicks her tongue when the door chimes open. I nudge her to focus, but she abruptly snarls, "You, what are you doing here?" 

I raise my gaze only to freeze on my spot when a man in a grey vest suit with a navy blue dress shirt and rolled-up sleeves—and tattoos. That's surprising too. I didn't think someone like him would have tattoos.

"What are you doing here, Alastair?" My stomach has a weird fluttery feeling when Rae says his name. She crosses her arms and glares at her brother. I bite my bottom lip and clench the tray tighter when he straightens up and responds, "I was around the corner and thought I pick you—" "What the," she scoffs, "how did you even know I would be here? I believe I never told anyone in the house where I go after school and academy." 

"Oh, my! Were you spying on me? Did you send your secretary after me?" she gasps. 

"Ugh, I shouldn't have come to pick her up." he murmurs under his breath when Rae snaps, "What? What did you say?" startling both of us. 

Alastair rolls his eyes and huffs, "Firstly, no, I didn't know you would be here. I saw you from outside," he looks over and points at the window before he continues, "I had an inkling but didn't bother to see what you are up to as long as you are not troubled." she scoffs, but he takes a deep breath and scoffs back, "Secondly, my secretary is too busy to handle a menial task like this—"