Chapter 24: Not Reachable

A L A S T A I R

"Okay, so you have a company meeting at 11, and then to meet the Balenciagas at 2, and then we would fly to India for our meeting with SP Chase Pharmaceuticals— what?" Garrett pauses from his boring sermon and looks over at me.

I glare and snap, "Ugh, why are you doing this?" 

"What do you mean? I am just doing my job as a secretary, and so are you as the boss." he shrugs, and I lean back in my chair and scoff, "Oh, please! This isn't a job." he raises his eyebrows, and I continue, "It's torture, and don't you think I don't get what you are trying to do, Wiles?" 

"And what am I doing if not my job, sir." 

A-ha, that's a perfect tell of my secretary. 

I smirk. "Because you never address me formally when it's just the two of us, and that tells me what you are perfectly up to." 

"Oh, please—" "It's revenge, isn't it?" I blurt out, interrupting him. 

Tight-lipped, Garrett looks at me and sighs, "Well, you caught me." 

I scoff, "Yup, I knew it." 

"And why shouldn't I? Do you even remember what you have been doing to me all these years? Whether it was a college group project or overtime, you've always made my life miserable." 

"How? We always work and leave together —" I sigh when Garrett turns to me and snarls, "Heck no! I can't forget the times when you forced me to work when I had blind dates to attend." I slump in my seat, and he continues, "You have always been around that people sometimes think us to be a couple, it really affected my social and love life, and this is the perfect opportunity for me to get what you deserve." 

Ugh! I groan. But it's been days since I haven't seen my girlfriend. I look at my phone as he says, "Anyway, we also need to leave for our meeting with our Japanese clients at the Palace hotel, where they are residing. So hurry up!" 

Garrett strides toward the door but halts and clicks his tongue, "What are you doing? We need to leave now." 

I groan and drag myself up from my seat as I glance down at my phone and look back at him. 

"Do I even have a minute to call someone?" I sarcastically ask. 

"Well, if that someone's Lily, you can meet her later after we are done with everything in your schedule," he replies. 

"But we won't be able to do everything today. You made sure of it. You made sure for the past few days that I don't get any free time to call my girlfriend." I argue. I shyly smile at how surreal it feels to be with her. 

Lily. 

It wasn't the first time I'd seen her in the cafe. Actually, I saw her on the day I came back from London. I had a busy schedule and had dinner with the Chairperson, but there was a woman who deliberately slowed down to check her phone while crossing the street next to an older man limping with a stick. 

I saw the older man thank her. She tucked her hair behind her ears and blushed. She was the most beautiful person I had ever laid my eyes on. She looked angelic with her kind smile and the sparkle of tender brown eyes. It was as if an angel had descended from heaven to live among us humans. I kept wondering about her and how her life would be, what would be her likes and dislikes, and I wished to know everything about her. 

So when I met her again at the cafe, I couldn't just pass up that opportunity I got. I had to meet her and befriend her, or else I wouldn't be able to work — that's when Garrett snorts, bringing me back to reality, and I scowl, "What now?"