Chapter 25

Olivia Yamkela Jakkals

We all boarded the jet but my parents pulled me aside, in one of the rooms.

They watch me while I devour the most delicious chocolate cake I've ever tasted.

Mom: Honey?

I look up.

Yammy: Ma?

Mom: You know that your dad and I are doctors right?

All of a sudden, we hear the door being opened. My aunt comes in and sits next to me.

Dad: We're having a family meeting with my daughter, Maria. (aunts name)

MaVilakazi: I'm family too, aren't I?

No comment.

MaVilakazi: Carry on.

She hands me a glass of juice, after I've eaten my cake.

MaVilakazi: Here you go ,nana. (My baby.)

Yammy: Thank you.

Mom sighs.

Mom: Listen baby, I'm going to ask you a question okay? And I need you to be completely honest with me.

She pauses.
After a few moments I blurt out.

Yammy: Yes mom.

Mom: Yes what?

I sigh, I'm starting to feel uneasy, my aunt notices and she rubs gently on my back and gives me a smile of reassurance.

Yammy: I'm...pregnant.

Dad: We already figured that much sweetheart, my question is, is it... Jason's child.

Yammy: Yes.

I whisper.

Mom: Oh! Nkosiyam! Kevin what have we done! (Oh my lord!)

Dad looks down.

Mom: Oh my baby, mommy is so sorry, I should have listened to my sister, I could have prevented this!

Dad: Love I...

Mom: No! Shut up, just don't!

I feel my body start to tremble, and just like that, I give in and start to break down.

My aunt holds me for dear life and comforts me.
My dad walks towards my mom but she keeps shouting.

Mom: No! Don't come near me! It's all my fault, it's all my fault.

He doesn't listen to her. He continues to slowly walk towards her. I watch as he hugs her but she resists and keeps throwing her fists onto his chest trying to get him to let go. He doesn't and it isn't long till she stops fighting and gives in and falls into his arms crying. He picks her up and walks her to the bed and the look on his face right now? Breaks my heart so bad.