Chapter 3: Sleep

Before long, Wang Chunhua returned and brought back a fish from the pond. In the Wei Family, there are a total of eight members. Wei Jianwei's father went to another brigade to repair the roof. He did not come back for dinner at noon.

Wei's eldest son accompanied his wife to visit her maternal family. Wei Jianwei is the second child and had just returned from the army. The third child is also a son, he was in a high school commune and only went home on weekdays.

For lunch, they made sweet potato rice. It was made by crushing the potato into puree and mixing it with rice with a spatula. It tasted sweet and was still hot. Thanks to Jianwei's arrival, there is a fish soup on today's menu, there's also potato cabbage stew, and the pickles left in the breakfast.

After dinner, a few women from the brigade came to visit. Wang Chunhua grabbed two handfuls of orange candies and several handfuls of dried peanuts, putting them on a tray to serve it to the guests.

This is also a local custom: When someone comes back from another place, whether they are soldiers, part-timers, or businessmen, the neighbors will come begging for sweets.

There was a burst of laughter coming in from outside while He Xiaoyun was washing the dishes in the kitchen. She didn't want to go out after washing, for fear the women outside will make fun of her and Wei Jianwei.

She walked from the back door of the kitchen to the backyard. The yard behind is not big. It was next to a bamboo forest and planted persimmon trees. It was a season of lush foliage. There's also a pig pen and chicken coop.

The commune allows up to three chickens and two pigs to be raised privately. The three little hens of the Wei Family were looking for food in the bamboo forest. By the end of the year, one chicken will be handed over to the public to complete the purchase task. It can be considered to be a tax payment. One will be slaughtered at home to eat and the last one will be sold to the small market to change from some daily necessities.

On the pigpen, there's only one pig. Most people can't afford to raise two because just feeding one pig is a big problem already. If it was fattened enough, they can't slaughter it privately. They need to take it to the food station. After the pig was slaughtered, the public will buy half and the other half goes to the family. Raising a pig is equivalent to not making money, but the states reward clothe tickets which many people go for.

He Xiaoyun swept the backyard and passed the time idly. It's estimated that all the people who came to the door are now in the front yard. We Jianwei had already finished the wooden box and grabbed a few insect eggs. Wei Yuanhang happily ran out with the box to show it to Yanyan.

Wang Chunhua blamed her son: "You had many tricks. Such a good wood was wasted on some box. Can the insects be raised for eating or wearing?"

He Xiaoyun bit her tongue, too embarrassed to say that it was her idea. She quickly picks up a basket and went to Wang Chunhua to say that she will go to the mountains and fortunately escaped happily.

Seeing her going out, Wang Chunhua glanced at her silent son and can't help but murmur: "You and Xiaoyun. It's not good. You two keep ignoring each other. Others will joke about this and if Xiaoyang hears about this, he's going to be sad. I think her temper has changed a lot recently, she became more diligent. If she thinks well, we should be glad..."

As she spoke, she sighed. It was true that this second daughter-in-law is so aggressive that she can't believe her changes. She(WC) was afraid that she would suddenly start acting up again in a few days or something else.

He Xiaoyun strolled in the mountain. On the way, she picked up a handful of fern, a few clumps of mountain fungi and her harvest is not bad. After going down the mountain and before returning home, She saw Wei Yuanhang playing outside the house. There were puddles on the ground. The boy jumped to the shallow pits and splashed his clothes with water and mud.