Chapter 12: Darkness

The soybeans were soaked overnight so that they became swollen. The next day they were taken to the threshing ground and grind into soy juice with a stone mill.

When the soy milk was being boiled, Wei Yuanhang hovered nearby the stove, when the soy milk was boiled, Wang Chunhua filled him with a bowl and put a small spoonful of sugar.

Just after sending him away, He Xiaoyun bought tofu with white vinegar, when the bean curd gradually formed, Wei Jianhua came, just like his three-year-old nephew, he peeked into the pot.

Wang Chunhua said in a frustrated voice: "Just how old are you? Still greedy." While saying that, she also gave him a bowl of tofu and after thinking about it, Wang Chunhua simply served a bowl to everyone in the family and made a special sauce.

The freshly baked tofu flowers are white, tender, and slippery, the fragrance of soybeans is a rare delicacy these days.

He Xiaoyun felt that she was a bit deprived. She was not a greedy person before but now she wants to have another one after eating a bowl. She touched her belly and sighed that it was all caused by a lack of resources.

There were more than one who had the same idea as her and wanted to have another one after eating. Wei Jianhua and Wei Yuanhang took empty bowls and ran to the kitchen again. The smaller one got half a bowl, but the larger one was rejected by Wang Chunhua. He was politely driven out.

Wei Jianhua was not discouraged either, his eyes rolled, and he ran to coax his little nephew.

When the tofu is ready, Wang Chunhua asked for He Xiaoyun to give a piece to Aunt Zhang next door. The two families live close to each other. Neighbors will give each other something they usually have.

When Wei Yuanhang heard that someone was going to Yanyan's house, he also came over.

Aunt Zhang's yard is smaller than that of Wei's. There's also a small vegetable garden in the yard. At this time, she squatted in the vegetable garden to weed. Seeing He Xiaoyun coming to the door, she asks: "Yo, what are you giving me?"

He Xiaoyun smiled, "Mother just made a plate of tofu. We will give you some to taste."

"Your mother is really generous. There are so many people in your family, why are you still sending some to me?" As said that, Aunt Zhang stood up hurriedly and wiped her hands on the apron, she then took He Xiaoyun's bowl. "This bowl will be cleaned. I'll send it to you again."

"Okay." He Xiaoyun simply nodded. Wei Yuanhang had already run into the house by himself, looked around inside and outside, and ran out again, "Auntie, where's Yanyan?"

"You're late," Aunt Zhang smiled, "Yanyan went to her grandmother's house with her mother this morning." The child was a little disappointed.

Upon seeing this, Aunt Zhang teased him: "You like Yanyan so much. When you grow up, let her be your wife and stay together every day, okay?"

Wei Yuanhang tilted his head and thought about it seriously, and then asked, "Is it being together during the day and the same at night?"

Aunt Zhang laughed and said, "Of course we have to be together, otherwise how do we call it husband and wife?" Wei Yuanhang lowered his head to think again.

He Xiaoyun laughed, "Auntie Zhang is teasing you. Yuanhang, let's go first."

"En. You go back first, I will go to talk to your mother in the afternoon."

The mother and son left Aunt Zhang's house. Thinking about this time, there is nothing to do when they go back. He Xiaoyun simply took the child for a walk outside.