Chapter 53: Love (I)

Early in the morning, He Xiaoyun and Wang Chunhua arrived at Jianwei's uncle's house. Because she already had two daughters-in-law, Wang Chunhua, who was quite experienced, was taken away to discuss the details of the wedding banquet. He Xiaoyun went to the kitchen backyard to wash and choose dishes with others.

Those who came over to help were both young and old wives from the same brigade who were familiar with each other. As soon as He Xiaoyun arrived in the kitchen backyard, someone greeted her: "Have you eaten breakfast? There are still porridge and steamed buns in the pot. You can eat before you work."

He Xiaoyun replied: "I've eaten before I leave the house."

"Just come and say if you're hungry, are you afraid this aunt won't give you food?" The other party joked.

He Xiaoyun also laughed.

Someone asked her again: "When will you and Jianwei leave?"

"This time, the holiday is only twenty days, and there are only four to five days left."

A few people were curious, and they asked about the situation in the army, such as where she went to live, where they eat, and whether she would go to work in the fields there...

He Xiaoyun answered them one by one.

"It's good for you and Jianwei. I have a nephew who has been in the army for seven or eight years. His wife still can't join the army." Someone said.

Another said: "I guess it isn't enough years. Jianwei has been in the army for more than ten years. By the way, Xiaoyun, how much is Jianwei's monthly salary?"

When this question was asked, everyone else pricked their ears to listen.

He Xiaoyun still knows the truth that she shouldn't brag about money. But if she said it's low, they'll think she lied. If it's high, others will scheme something.

She then said: "There are dozens of yuan. Since Jianwei is a soldier, his expense was only clothes and food, sometimes if his comrades got injured or retired, he lent them money. When we arrived, he got two more mouths to feed. I also need to pay to buy some fresh vegetables and firewood when winter comes."

Seventy or eighty is also dozens. Wei Jianwei's salary is ninety yuan, He Xiaoyun didn't lie about this.

When they heard that there were dozens of yuan, some people were jealous.

"It's still best to be here with the family. Although we're not rich, we can eat the vegetables in our own fields and get some firewood in the mountains. Who dares to ask us for money?" The man said with a sense of superiority.

"Yeah," He Xiaoyun agreed with a smile, "It's cold in winter over there, and we can't eat fresh vegetables. It's really inferior to our Qingshuihe."

After a few more words, they soon chatted about other topics.

One person said that someone's family had some connections and got their child a job in a factory. Then another said that some girl was going to have another blind date, and saying that the girl shouldn't be picky.

He Xiaoyun didn't know all this gossip, she just bowed her head to work and nodded from time to time.

The person who asked about Wei Jianwei's salary lowered her voice and said, "Xiao Min quarreled with Jianming again last night. In the morning, I saw her eyes were red."

He Xiaoyun pricked her ears when she heard some familiar names. It was Wei Jianming who hooked up with some other woman last summer and was caught by the other's husband. That matter back then was quite violent.