Chapter 8: Rainy Day

It's been sunny for two to three days. When the planting of the seedlings was almost done, it rained. It rained early in the morning on the fourth day. The rain was strong so the people who were planting had to stay at home.

When people suddenly became idle, it made them feel a little uncomfortable. He Xiaoyun remembered that their bedroom hasn't been cleaned for many days. She carried a bucket of water and planned to wipe the bedside and closet.

In the bedroom, her spot and Wei Jianwei's site are different. The bed and the wardrobe belong to her and the table desk and the suitcase belong to him. As for Wei Yuanhang, there are traces of him everywhere.

After cleaning her own place, He Xiaoyun looked at Wei Jianwei's side, remembering that this man helped her carry the water before, she felt that she shouldn't be so petty, so she twisted the towel again and wiped the other side.

When wiping the table, she found a book lying on the side. He Xiaoyun knew that Wei Jianwei would sometimes read a book at night. Looking at the book in front of her, she thought of her ambition on passing the college entrance examination. she couldn't help but flip through it

This book is one of the volumes of |One Hundred Thousand Why's|. He Xiaoyun originally thought it was funny. Wei Jianwei, an elder that was not too young was still reading this kind of children's book.

But it turns out to be different. The current |One Hundred Thousand Why's| actually teaches people how to use firearms and military tactics!

He Xiaoyun had originally flip through it casually but after reading a few pages, she put the towel aside unknowingly and read the book seriously.

When she noticed that Wei Jianwei had walked in, it was too late to put the book down.

"Um..." She was found using the other party's things, she felt a little guilty and then explained in a low voice, "I intend to clean the table for you."

Wei Jianwei glanced at the book in her hand and didn't say anything. He walked forward and opened a drawer of the desk before digging out a comic strip inside and handing it to Wei Yuanhang who came in behind him.

He Xiaoyun's eyes became dazzled. She hasn't moved the desk much. Before Wei Jianwei came back, every time she cleaned the bedroom, she only wiped the surface. She never knew that the three drawers of the desk were stuffed full of books!

"Mom! Dad gave me a comic book!" Wei Yuanhang happily said, showing off the comic strip in his hand.

He Xiayun nodded absent-mindedly, her heart was already taken away by Wei Jianwei's books.

This era advocates that reading is useless. Many people don't like reading and students didn't have any tutoring materials other than textbooks. Some schools don't even teach textbook knowledge. The students basically read for half a day and they're free whatever they want at the other half of their time.

During the time He Xiaoyun appeared here, she hadn't seen a book, only when Wei Jianhua was at home on the weekend two days ago.

As a result, Wei Jianwei, a soldier who can't even be regarded as an educated youth, has so many books. Why wasn't she too surprised?

After finishing the sanitation of the bedroom and walking to the main room, the neighbor Aunt Zhang and her granddaughter Yanyan came to visit. Wei Yuanhang and Yanyan were leaning together to look through the comic strip.

Wang Chunhua and Feng Qiuyue were knitting sweaters while chatting with Aunt Zhang

He Xiaoyun took a small stool and sat under the eaves to watch the rain. In the dense rain curtain, the mountains in the distance and the fields nearby seemed to be covered with a thin veil.