Chapter 54.1: Love (II)

They were about to leave in two days, and He Xiaoyun went back to visit her maternal family's house.

This time, by coincidence, her brother, He Xiaojun was also there, and when Wei Yuanhang saw his young uncle, he pestered him to play.

When the two went out, Li Yuegui warned loudly behind: "Don't take Xiaoyuan to the water's edge!"

"Got it!" He Xiaojun replied.

Li Yuegui looked at the door with ease before turning around and asking He Xiaoyun: "Why didn't Jianwei come with you?"

"He's still working at home. Why? If your son-in-law didn't come, you wouldn't let your daughter in?"

"I just casually asked. When will you not be allowed to return? I have a conscience." Li Yuegui glared at her.

He Xiaoyun smiled, "Mom, I want to eat some Qingtuan."

As soon as He Xiaoyun stepped into the yard, she saw a pile of barley grass on the ground, still with dew, which should have been picked in the morning.

Li Yuegui had planned to cook Qingtuan in the past two days, and the ingredients were ready. Seeing her daughter say she wanted to eat, Li Yuegui rolled up her sleeves and was ready to do it, but still said: "You'll ask for food as soon as you get home, Xiaoyun, why don't you come and help me?"

"Coming."

The mother and daughter picked out the barley grass, washed them, blanched them and smashed them, filtered out the juice with gauze, mixed them with glutinous rice flour, and knead them into a big green dough.

-----

Qingtuan is also called Qingmingguo. It comes with both sweet and salty flavors. The salty Qingtuan is filled with diced bacon, diced winter bamboo shoots, diced shiitake mushrooms, etc. It's very troublesome to make, and they don't have enough time to make its fillings, so temporarily, Li Yuegui made some sweet Qingtuan.

They knead the green dough into a long strip, pull off a small part, round it, patted it flat, coated it with white/brown sugar, press it into a small ball shape, pour oil into the pan, add the green ball, and slowly fry it until both sides are golden and fragrant. The Qingtuan is completed.

If conditions permit, the fillings inside can be replaced with sweet-scented osmanthus, sesame, red bean paste, etc.

-----

The two talked while cooking.

"Your cousin's wife is pregnant, and your aunt couldn't stop talking about it when we met."

He Xiaoyun thought about it for a while and said, "So soon? They haven't been married for a few months ago."

Xiaoyun remembers going to the woman's house to prepare the banquet. Both she and He Xiaofen went to the maiden's house to visit, but when they(Xiaoyun's cousin) got married at the end of the year, she was already in the army and didn't participate.

Li Yuegui nodded, "In just a few days, she'll be exactly five months pregnant. Back then, your aunt was quite worried. Your cousin's temperament is ambiguous, his wife is so young, and I'm afraid they won't get along. To think there will be good news so soon."

He Xiaoyun quietly listened, thinking that this is another type of urging from her mother to give birth to another son. Unexpectedly, Li Yuegui didn't say anything about pregnancy.

He Xiaoyun became curious, has her mother changed her temper?

Actually speaking, in Li Yuegui's heart, she still hopes that her eldest daughter(Xiaofen) can give birth to a boy. After all, people in rural areas value this most.