Chapter 43: Winter

Not long after the first snow melted, the second one fell, which was bigger than the previous one.

In the beginning, He Xiaoyun was feeling a little strange, but she became numb as she watched too much. The weather was getting colder and she, a southerner, had to rely on the stove to continue her life recently. Xiaoyun didn't even dare to open the door.

Wei Jianwei also didn't let her go out. Now, the ingredients at home can only be resupplied when Wei Jianwei goes to the market on his rest day.

He Xiaoyun's daily routine became cooking, reading, knitting every day.

<>

There are fewer fresh vegetables in the market. Xu Lanxiang said that there are not many farmers selling their vegetables in the market in the suburbs. No matter how poor the farmers became, they're not willing to go out to sell their vegetables at this time.

After eating three consecutive meals consisting of radish, He Xiaoyun decided that she would add a few bean sprouts to eat, otherwise, she would soon become a radish.

Xiaoyun's grandfather used to sell bean sprouts in her past life. He will spread the mung beans layer by layer in a large wooden bucket with holes in the bottom, then cover it with bamboo leaves to shade them, he will then water the mung beans every few hours for several days in succession. If the temperature is right, the mung bean sprouts will grow quickly.

At home, naturally, she doesn't need such a big wooden barrel. He Xiaoyun managed to find a small bamboo barrel. She proceeded to spread a layer of gauze underneath, pour it with water, spreads the mung beans, and cover it with another layer of gauze. Finally, she put the small barrel beside the stove to make sure the temperature is not too low.

The winter temperature now was cold, but inside a house, the cold was lessened. As long as the temperature is higher than two degrees celsius, mung beans can sprout.

Wei Yuanhang followed He Xiaoyun curiously, "Mom, will a plant grow there?"

"It's too early to know," He Xiaoyun said, "You're not allowed to knock down the barrel here, understand?"

The child repeatedly nodded, "I will watch it and won't let Rongrong touch it."

He Xiaoyun tapped his head and smiled, "You still care about Rongrong? You just need to take care of yourself. Where did you stop counting before? You've already counted twenty, so today you will count up to thirty. ."

Wei Yuanhang stretched out two fleshy palms. His ten little fingers were like small carrots. He looked down at his feet and said with a frown, "But mom, my fingers aren't enough."

He Xiaoyun didn't know whether to laugh or cry. She got up and went to the kitchen to grab a handful of mung beans and sprinkled them on the table, saying, "It's enough now. You'll count the mung beans and give me thirty of them."

The child sat on the chair, stretched out his chubby hand, and started to count one by one.

He Xiaoyun sat on the edge of the chair and knitted Yuanhang's woolen trousers. The two trouser legs were almost finished. She let Wei Yuanhang stand upright and compared the size with him.

Wei Jianwei opened the door and came in. He was wearing a military coat. This kind of coat that made others look bloated and awkward, looks like it had a heroic spirit when worn by him.

"Dad!" Wei Yuanhang happily yelled.

Wei Jianwei walked over while taking off his coat, touched the little kid's head, and glanced at the mung beans on the table, "What are you doing?"