Chapter 39: Invitation

He Xiaoyun and Xu Lanxiang went to the market the next day to buy veggies.

Wei Yuanhang and Wang Derong sat side by side on their laps separately since they left late and the seats were all occupied in the bus.

The bus traveled all the way from the city to the outskirts, gradually replacing the clean roadways with low sheds and fields. Along the way, Xu Lanxiang informed He Xiaoyun about the recent developments in the area.

"How many years has sister Xu been with Brother Wang in the army?" He Xiaoyun curiously inquired after noticing that Lanxiang seemed familiar with the area.

"What brother Wang? Just call him Lao Wang," Xu Lanxiang remarked with a smile.

"When he's promoted to be a deputy battalion commander, I'm already here for four to five years, and Rongrong was still in my stomach. I can be considered as one of the first batches to enter the army."

"It's been a long time." He Xiaoyun stated.

"What about you? In fact, many people have been asking me and Lao Wang before to introduce Old Wei to them. You see, he's young, decent, and has a bright future. Everyone knows that. We didn't even know when he got married, If he hadn't reported it to the troops, everyone would be kept in the dark. At that time, I was thinking every day, who was it? How can Old Wei be so fascinated? Does she have the appearance of a Goddess? As a result, I waited until now. Why didn't you come here before?"

If I had come here before, wouldn't I be fighting that man's pursuers? He Xiaoyun thought.

Of course, the sentence up above can't be said, so He Xiaoyun had to vaguely say: "My child is still young and the elders in the family thought that I'm still too green to go, they aren't in ease to see me leave."

Xu Lanxiang nodded in recognition, "Yes, I kind of understand. I think you're not too old, you still have the look of a beautiful little girl. By the way, how old are you?"

"Twenty-two."

"That's really young, you're seven or eight years younger than me. How did you meet Old Wei?"

He Xiaoyun continued to bite the bullet and said nonsense: "We're in the same brigade, and we knew each other since we were young."

"So, you two are childhood sweethearts? No wonder that the other little girls can't catch Old Wei's sight." Xu Lanxiang spoke with a smile.

He Xiaoyun smiled and quickly changed the subject, "What about Sister Xu and Lao Wang? How did the two of you meet?"

"I used to work in a quilt factory. The workshop director and Lao Wang's old boss were classmates. Later, our factory formed a pact with the army."

"Then, sister Xu fell in love with him at first sight?" He Xiaoyun guessed.

Xu Lanxiang chuckled, "How can I? I didn't look at him at that time. Don't look at me like that, I was also the flower in our factory back then. Although old Wang looks pretty good, he's a rural man. My thinking at that time is, if you get married, it would be too tiring. So, I didn't think about him in the beginning. But he was stubborn, whenever the troops rested, he would come to guard our factory. This guard comes and goes. I don't know what happened next, I just agreed to be with him in a daze."

He Xiaoyun joked: "How could a clever person like sister Xu agree in a silly way? You must really be willing."

"I'm smart, but also stupid."

The two chatted all the way, and it didn't take long before they arrived at the market.

Xu Lanxiang is skillful in picking vegetables and bargaining with vegetable farmers. He Xiaoyun basically only needs to follow her in buying.