𝔄 𝔇𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔪 𝔦𝔰 𝔞 𝔚𝔦𝔰𝔥 𝔜𝔬𝔲𝔯 ℌ𝔢𝔞𝔯𝔱 𝔐𝔞𝔨𝔢𝔰 [𝔓𝔞𝔯𝔱 3]

☆.。.:* ℛ𝓊𝓃𝓃𝒾𝓃𝑔 ℱ𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒞𝒶𝓈𝓉𝓁𝑒 *:.。.☆

Y/N was close to tears as Elliot finished telling his story. He was standing at the edge of the pavilion once more, staring out into the distant night, thinking of his mother and father as he stared at the willow. They had always loved willow trees. Dancing beneath the fronds in the moonlight, having picnics when the sun was high and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. 

"Elliot?"

He turned to see Y/N walking towards him, tears pooling in the corner of her eyes. She still had his jacket wrapped around her shoulders, and she held it tight around her body as a gust of wind swirled around her. He held out his arms and pulled her into a warm hug, rocking her back and forth as she lay her head on his chest, listening to his beating heart.

"How could you endure so much torture for so long," she whispered, tracing one of his buttons with her finger. She tilted her gaze towards him and waited for his answer.

"Dreams," he said after a moment. "There was always this one dream I had that managed to get me through."

"What was it?"

He could tell her now. His dream had come true. And so, he did tell her. "I was dancing with the loveliest maiden beneath the moon, holding her in my arms, and..." he trailed off.

"And?"

"And falling in love with her," he breathed.

Y/N felt her heart fall, and her hand slid away from the button. She pulled herself away from Elliot, staring up into his beautiful blue eyes. "Love?"

Elliot nodded. Maybe he shouldn't have told her. Maybe he shouldn't have said anything about his dream. Maybe he should have given her the same excuse he gave the birds when they twittered about, asking what he dreamt of. 

"I'm sorry," he whispered, taking a curl of her hair that had fallen loose and tucking it behind her ear. "I didn't mean to -"

"Don't apologise, Elliot," Y/N sighed. "I'm only sorry I can't love you the same way that you love me." She dropped her head. "I'm doomed to never love anyone." She couldn't tell him that her father had forbidden her to fall in love with anyone from the mortal world. 

"What do you mean 'doomed'?"

"Cursed." It was the easiest answer. And it was the only answer that wouldn't make the boy even more curious.

"Oh," was all Elliot said. "If you could love... do you think you would love me?"

Y/N gave Elliot a small smile, before lifting herself up and pressing her lips to his cheek. "I'm sure I would." She couldn't tell him that she was already halfway to loving him already. She couldn't tell him that she wanted to love him and that she was capable of loving him. She couldn't tell him about her father and his rules about the mortal world. She couldn't tell him that she would be leaving him as soon as she figured out what the darkness in this world was, which from the sounds of it could be his stepmother. She couldn't tell him about Luna, she couldn't tell him about her task, she couldn't tell him about any of it. 

"Y/N, don't cry. Please don't cry." 

She hadn't even realised that she was starting to cry. Elliot gently wiped away her tears as they fell, giving her a soft smile all the while. 

"Please don't cry."

Y/N took a deep breath, calming herself as she did. Her heart was still thundering in her chest, but she was no longer crying.