𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔘𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔳𝔦𝔱𝔢𝔡 𝔉𝔞𝔦𝔯𝔶 [𝔓𝔞𝔯𝔱 2]

☆.。.:* 𝒫𝓇𝒾𝓃𝒸𝑒 𝑅𝑜𝓇𝓎 *:.。.☆

Back in the cottage, far from the clearing where Briar had danced with the enchanting girl, three peasant women were toiling away in their cottage. One, who was dressed in fabrics of green and who was named Fauna, was working on a fifteen-level cake, drizzled with a pale blue icing and sixteen candles sitting on the top. It would have been a magnificent cake if she had known how to bake it in the first place. But as she finished lighting the candles, the entire cake started to slip, so she picked up a broom and wedged it against the pile of dirty dishes that she had created and against the cake, hoping to keep it propped up.

"Well, what do you think of it," Fauna asked, turning to the other two women who were working on a suit.

One, dressed in red and brown, pulled a pin from between her lips and turned to Fauna to see how the cake was coming along. She was... concerned when she saw the cake slowly sliding down the broom handle towards the wooden table below. "Why it's..." she tried to think of some way to sugarcoat the fact that the cake did not suit the occasion at all. This was Briar's sixteenth birthday and the last birthday that they would have with him. And it was meant to be a wondrous day. But this cake would not do at all. "It's quite an unusual cake isn't it," Flora said, finally finding a few gentle words to try and hint that the cake was terrible.

"Yes," Fauna said. She understood what Flora was trying to say and as she turned back, she realised that the candles were starting to slip down the handle. "Of course, it'll be much stiffer after it's baked."

"Of course, dear."

Flora stepped back from the suit that she had been working on and frowned at it. She couldn't deny that it looked terrible. No matter how desperately she wanted to try and convince herself that she had improved it by adding ruffles and bows and not sticking to the pattern in the book at all. "Um, what do you think of the suit?"

"Well, it's... it's... it's not exactly the way it looks in the book, is it?"

"Oh, I improved it," Flora said, still trying to convince herself that the suit was salvageable. "But perhaps if I added a few more ruffles..." She turned to Fauna. "What do you think?"

"Um..." Fauna hesitated for a moment. "I think so." She turned to the woman who had been voluntold to be the mannequin. Or as Flora had said, the dummy.

The woman's name was Merryweather. And she was less than thrilled about nearly everything that had happened today thus far. First of all, she had wanted to make the suit blue rather than pink, but Flora had not given her a say in the matter. Second of all, Fauna could not cook, or bake for that matter, and Flora could not sew. Then, she hadn't been able to help with either the cake or the suit, except to be the dummy as Flora said. And now, everything was a mess, and she was the only one willing to state the facts as they were.

"What do you think, Merryweather," Fauna asked.

"I think we've had enough of this nonsense," Merryweather snapped, turning to the two women. The collar that Flora had attempted to sew in place flew up and smacked her nose. "I think we ought to think of Briar and what he'll think of this mess." As she swung her hand to the side, the sleeve that Flora had sewn on flew off. There was no way that Briar would be able to use this suit. She stomped down from the stool that she had been told to stand on and off to the stairs that led to their sleeping quarters on the second floor. "I still think what I thunk before. I'm going to get those wands."

Now, for the past sixteen years, the three women had kept a secret from Briar. He had grown up thinking that he was a foundling child that had been discovered by the three women and raised by simple peasants, but the reality was that he had been born a prince of the kingdom. On the day of his christening, he had been cursed by an evil fairy by the name of Maleficent, who had cursed the prince so that before the sun set on his sixteenth birthday, he would prick his finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel and die. But Merryweather had saved him from the fatal curse, giving him a ray of hope. If he should prick his finger, he would fall into a sleep-like death and would be awoken by love's first kiss. But his parents were still fearful for his life and so the three women, who were really the three good fairies, had taken him to live in the woods where they disguised themselves as mortals for sixteen years, biding their time in the deep woods until Briar could return to the palace as Prince Rory.