5𝔎 𝔖𝔭𝔢𝔠𝔦𝔞𝔩

☆.。.:* ⚔ *:.。.☆

"Yah!"

The sound of hooves thundered through the valley as a young woman guided her steed through the trees and bushes, not straying far enough from the gravel path that she would get lost, but staying far enough away that she could stick to the shadows and overgrown way to the meadow where she was headed. Her h/c locks streamed out behind her in the wind, tied back by only a single dark blue ribbon. Her cloak fluttered as she guided her mare over a fallen log, and she laughed as she was nearly thrown from the saddle. She still wasn't entirely used to riding horses, but as the days passed and turned into weeks, she knew that she was improving.

At the sound of another horse behind her, the woman glanced over her shoulder and smiled gaily when she saw her companion following close behind, a broad smile on his face. Like her, he had been excited at the prospect of spending a day away from the castle where they were expected to act as the rest of the nobility did. But out here, they could be themselves, with no titles. They could be lord and lady over the plants and the trees if they so wished, but the ivy and the water weren't about to tell them that they couldn't chortle or snicker, or that they couldn't kick off their shoes and run barefoot across the emerald grass.

"C'mon, Elliot," the woman called over her shoulder. She turned around again and urged her horse to move faster.

"Wait for us, Y/N," the blond man called after the girl. "Major and Reine have been running for most of the morning!" But there was a laugh in his voice. Reine and Major had not been running for most of the morning, in fact, Y/N and Reine had only started galloping once they had reached the woods. Both had decided to race Elliot and Major to the meadow where they would all be having their little picnic, down by a quiet stream that ran through the forest.

"We're almost there," Y/N shouted in retaliation. And sure enough, not three minutes later, the small group arrived at the meadow that Y/N and Elliot had found while they had been wandering around the forest looking for truffles. Y/N pulled Reine to a stop and slid off the horse's back, landing on the ground with a small 'oof'. She reached up to the cream-coloured mare and smiled, gently patting the horse's side. "Thanks for the ride, Reine." She carefully pulled off the saddle and bridle and set them aside, watching with a blissful smile as Reine pranced around the meadow, enjoying the scent of the flowers and the feeling of the grass on her back as she flopped over and started rolling around. Y/N laughed as she watched until she heard the sound of Major and Elliot approaching.

"What took you so long," Y/N asked, assisting Elliot with Major's bridle as Elliot hopped down.

"Major's not as young as he once was," Elliot sighed, grunting as he pulled off Major's saddle and set it down next to Reine's. He patted Major on the rear and once Y/N had pulled off the horse's bridle, he trotted off to go and join his equine companion, leaving Y/N and Elliot to watch.

"Where do you want to eat," Elliot asked, lifting the picnic basket that they had swiped from the kitchen that morning before running from the castle. With his other arm, he embraced Y/N and pressed a gentle kiss to the side of her head. Y/N sighed contentedly at the affection and lifted herself onto her toes to press a kiss on Elliot's cheek.

"Why don't we eat over there, down by the creek?" She pointed to a small patch of grass that wasn't too far from the creek, resting in the shade of a large yew tree.

Elliot smiled and took her by the hand, guiding her across the field - careful not to get in the way of the two playful horses - and down into the shade of the riverbank. He set down the basket and pulled out the blue and white checkered blanket that he had brought. Then, he tossed it over the area where they would be sitting and patted it, motioning for Y/N to sit down. She did and she leaned back against the bark of the yew, watching as Elliot pulled the food out of the basket.