𝔗𝔥𝔦𝔢𝔣 𝔦𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔚𝔬𝔬𝔡𝔰 [𝔓𝔞𝔯𝔱 1]

☆.。.:* 𝒮𝒽𝑒𝓇𝓌𝑜𝑜𝒹 ℱ𝑜𝓇𝑒𝓈𝓉 *:.。.☆

Y/N drew back the string of her bow, the muscles in her arm tensing as she listened to the creak of the wood and the familiar sound of the string going taught against her cheek. Her knuckles burned as the twine twisted against the skin, threatening to leave marks. Breathing steadily, Y/N shut one eye and focused the tip of her arrow on the target. She held the arrow for a moment before steadily breathing out between her lips and releasing the arrow. The arrow soared through the air, whistling like a burning kettle before landing with a satisfying thunk into the knot of an oak tree. Y/N lowered her bow and smiled at her success. A month of private lessons had greatly improved her aim. Still not as good as the legendary accuracy of Robin Hood, but better than it had been before her lessons.

Y/N rose from her place among the bushes and stepped out, her boots finding a sturdy root to use as a step. As she drew herself out of her hiding place, her companion revealed himself as well.

"You've improved," Sir Marian said, brushing off the shoulders of his emerald cloak. "And might I add that you've improved quicker than any other I have taught before?"

Y/N grabbed her arrow by the shaft and pulled it loose. She carefully inspected the tip before sliding it into the quiver resting at her hip. "And just how many people have you taught before, Sir Marian?"

Marian waved his hand dismissively. "That's not important, Lady Y/N."

Y/N chuckled. "Oh, I disagree. If I'm the only person you've taught, then your compliment means nothing." She left the clearing where they had been practising and headed back to the stream where they had left their steeds to bask in the morning light.

As the two made their way through the woods, careful not to leave tracks, Y/N thought of the months that had passed since she had been brought to this place. It had been less than a year and already Prince John had ravaged the land, focusing his tyranny on the village of Nottingham. The poor village that lay at the base of the castle. She had been there when King Richard had left for the Crusades, leaving his lands in the hands of his younger brother. She had never seen a poorer decision made.

"May I inquire as to what plagues your mind, my lady?"

Y/N was startled out of her thoughts as Sir Marian drew himself up beside her, allowing his hand to brush against hers ever so slightly in hopes of breaking her train of thought.

"The prince," Y/N answered simply. "And the king."

"How so?"

The two arrived in the clearing and Y/N approached her steed, whom she had summoned from her kingdom, dressing her in the disguise of a mortal horse. She gently caressed Stella's neck, greeting her mare with a tender display of affection.

"I do not think it was a good idea for the king to leave the kingdom in the hands of his brother."

She pulled out an apple from her bag and glanced over at Sir Marian. The man was tending to his stallion and was paying her no mind. While he was distracted, Y/N withdrew a small crystal vial and uncorked it, tilting it so three drops fell onto the surface of the apple. The apple shone for a moment, as bright as the northern star, before dimming and returning to the mortal appearance of the fruit. Y/N held it out to Stella, who took it eagerly.

"My beautiful girl," Y/N whispered, drawing her hand over Stella's muzzle. Stella let out a soft whinny at the sound of the familiar tongue and gently bumped her nose against the palm of Y/N's hand.